Modded Mustang Forums banner

101 - 120 of 1155 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
****, I forgot to go buy a in/lb torque wrench on the way home.... **** my life lol

·
Hoosier Daddy
170 Posts
Just for the record, I just got off the phone with AM and they said phase limiters are needed with the hot rod NSR's:dunno

·
MM's Official Lab Rat!
3,315 Posts
Just for the record, I just got off the phone with AM and they said phase limiters are needed with the hot rod NSR's:dunno
That's because they want to sell you a part you don't need.

^No phase limiters installed here...lol

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
damn this install is testing me lol i dont even know what to do at this point about all the problems im having lol anyway someone can just tell me "alright this is what you need to do" lol

seriously tho, thanks for all the help so far guys. Especially you Cammin. Im pretty terrible with this **** so its almost certain that things will turn out for the worse before it gets better haha but yeah, how should i go about making sure that the chain is ok or whatever on the drivers side and the cam matches up with the sprocket on the passenger side? i dont have to worry about blowing myself up whenever im drilling a hole in that bolt i popped earlier do i? haha

@[email protected]

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
The chain was never taken off of the sprocket, but the sprocket was removed from the cam when I removed the wedge

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Haha I think I actually said at sometime before the install that normally anything that can go wrong when I install **** does :p
That may or may not be a problem. If there was any slack in the chain, then there is the possibility of the cam being out of time. Normally I would tell you to just crank the motor over by hand and check for any valve to piston clearance issues, but with the VCT being active, this is not a very effective way to check.

If there was slack in the chain I would pull the cover and check. Did you put the wedge back in? Did you hold the chain tight when you put it back in? If you didn't hold the chain while putting it back in, that would increase the possibility of being off.

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Your drivers side still has the wedge right? If not is the cam still in? As long as the chains had tension on the bottom half the whole time you should be fine.

And no you won't blow up but how do you plan on fixing it? I would be more worried about that then the timing ha

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
That may or may not be a problem. If there was any slack in the chain, then there is the possibility of the cam being out of time. Normally I would tell you to just crank the motor over by hand and check for any valve to piston clearance issues, but with the VCT being active, this is not a very effective way to check.

If there was slack in the chain I would pull the cover and check. Did you put the wedge back in? Did you hold the chain tight when you put it back in? If you didn't hold the chain while putting it back in, that would increase the possibility of being off.
I'm pretty sure the chain has Been tight the whole time, the sprocket is keeping it pretty tight. I havnt put the wedge back in the drivers side, it's still in the passenger side.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Your drivers side still has the wedge right? If not is the cam still in? As long as the chains had tension on the bottom half the whole time you should be fine.

And no you won't blow up but how do you plan on fixing it? I would be more worried about that then the timing ha
I put the hot rode can in, but I didn't connect it to the sprocket yet. That's when I took the wedge out and put it in the passenger side. I was gunna use a screw extractor, drilling a hole in it, then using the tool in the kit that you can screw in the hole and use a wrench to turn it while it's in the drilled hole

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

That wrag and wrench thing doesn't work o.o I'm starting to hate this lol

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

i could probly just take out those three followers, or even all of them if i have to if thats what i gotta do for it to fit. Will it work if i just take out the followers? because i just want to get this done lol

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
I'd suggest going backwards before going forwards, take the cam caps off, turn cam to fit into the phaser, put cam caps back on, repeat on other side. Pull timing cover and make sure timing is correct.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I'd suggest going backwards before going forwards, take the cam caps off, turn cam to fit into the phaser, put cam caps back on, repeat on other side. Pull timing cover and make sure timing is correct.
thats the problem, when i turn the cam to fit the phaser, it lifts up so it wont go in, which is why im suggesting just saying **** it and taking the followers off lol and ill only have to do the timing cover thing for one side right? or does the cover go on both sides? ill probly be able to find a guide on that

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
No, leave the followers in. Just put the phaser onto the cam, keeping tension on the chain. Lay the cam onto the journals and put the caps on. have someone just press down on the camshaft as you are tightening the journals. I would get them all snugged down and then tighten them little by little, moving in an even pattern, until all the bolts are torqued to the 89 inlbs. or whatever. I think I did mine just a bit tighter and I think I did it to compensate for any upward pressure exerted on the camshaft by the followers. Though in retrospect, I don't think that is going to effect the torquing of the journal caps.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
thats the problem, when i turn the cam to fit the phaser, it lifts up so it wont go in, which is why im suggesting just saying **** it and taking the followers off lol and ill only have to do the timing cover thing for one side right? or does the cover go on both sides? ill probly be able to find a guide on that
You just have to push it down and get the journal caps started. Depending on how the motor is positioned it may take quite a bit of force to get the camshaft seated down in their journals.

What you should have done was position the motor so it had the least amount of pressure between the followers and camshaft. Swapped the cam and then done the other side because the motor needs to be in two different positions to do each side.

Finish the drivers side first and then move over to the other side. You can't do both at the same time.

And the timing cover is the front cover to the engine. It will expose the timing chains going to both sides. And I am sure there is another way to check the cam timing without having to pull the cover. If you can find the relationship to the piston and the valve openings and closings it can be checked without yanking the cover.

·
MM's Official Lab Rat!
3,315 Posts
Nope don't need them but what does come in handy is that throttle body spacer they always try and push lol
LOL!:foshizzle:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
You just have to push it down and get the journal caps started. Depending on how the motor is positioned it may take quite a bit of force to get the camshaft seated down in their journals.

What you should have done was position the motor so it had the least amount of pressure between the followers and camshaft. Swapped the cam and then done the other side because the motor needs to be in two different positions to do each side.

Finish the drivers side first and then move over to the other side. You can't do both at the same time.

And the timing cover is the front cover to the engine. It will expose the timing chains going to both sides. And I am sure there is another way to check the cam timing without having to pull the cover. If you can find the relationship to the piston and the valve openings and closings it can be checked without yanking the cover.
Ah ok, I see where I ****ed up... Well the drivers side is the one where the timing might be off, so should I do that timing **** and check or is it alright?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Voted best suspense thread ever. This **** like a edge of your seat movie lol
im mostly just worried about ****ing **** up getting that bolt out man lol i already messed up the drill practicing on the broken bolts, dulled that down pretty quick. off to the store again lol

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

oh btw, the drivers side cam fits fine in the phaser i think.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Only thing worse that can happen at this point is, when your trying to get the bolt out, you break the easy out in the broken bolt. Then you have to drill out the hardened steel. This sounds like a mess.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Only thing worse that can happen at this point is, when your trying to get the bolt out, you break the easy out in the broken bolt. Then you have to drill out the hardened steel. This sounds like a mess.
yeah im really worried about getting this bolt out tbh, no clue how thats gunna work out. and i cant really weld around it for obvious reasons..

101 - 120 of 1155 Posts