Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put her sideways in 2nd on the way home and it wouldnt get into 3rd gear.... clutch pedal went limp and only engaged for the last 2-3 inches from the floor until i pumped it a few times. then i couldnt get it into any gears without jamming it hard with a little grind and limped it home just down the block from my house.

It goes into gear just perfectly when the car is off with the clutch in or out and the clutch feels pretty much normal... maybe a little bit less resistance. Once its started it has to be jammed into a gear and once its in it makes a "Shhhhh" sound until its out of gear.

Replaced all components inside the bell housing 1-2 years ago and ToB should make noise in neutral while mine doesnt. I'm pretty confused here. Did i **** the synchros or maybe a shifter linkage bent or perhaps a bolt on the shifter? is the ToB done already? i'm stumped and need to get to work on monday!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
After I lost 2nd gear a few months ago, that was happening to me. Had to pump the clutch a lot to get it to at least go into 1st and 3rd gear smoothly.

Stal, since you mentioned the clutch cable, I'm wondering if that could be it with the slight issue I'm having. If I'm just normally driving and go to grab 2nd, I get like a click, as if something is catching from the clutch not being 100% disengaged. If I grab 2nd really slow, it doesn't happen. Think the stock clutch cable could be wearing out? Edit: But other than that, the T56 has been a beautiful transmission so far.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
click sound is common. i always have one even with aftermarket clutch quadrants. as it goes now i break a cable every year. right before the cable breaks it will stretch and cause issues with shifting. but the clutch typicaly will feel like it is draging or even a low peddal. im not a fan of the t56 any more, it is alot harder to shift than my t45

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yeah, it's probably the cable then. I think next on my agenda after the Vortech is installed I should pick up a new OEM cable, firewall adjuster, and a decent clutch quadrant while I'm there anyway.

I love the T56 so far. I didn't miss a gear for the first few weeks of having it, and I was told that 3rd would probably be really tough. I more or less love it for the ratios though. I'm more into top end speed, so being stuck at like 120 with the TR3650 and 3.73s in 4th wasn't too fun. And hitting overdrive would have been useless. Now I can easily cruise up to 140.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i removed the cover where the clutch fork goes into the bell housing and a handful of stuff came out... looked kind of like strands of fibreglass and brake pad so i assume these are pieces of my clutch. i took some pictures and a video of the sound i will post shortly. would a worn/exploded clutch cause these problems?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
i removed the cover where the clutch fork goes into the bell housing and a handful of stuff came out... looked kind of like strands of fibreglass and brake pad so i assume these are pieces of my clutch. i took some pictures and a video of the sound i will post shortly. would a worn/exploded clutch cause these problems?
:yes

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I wouldn't breathe those dust particles if I were you either.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
diffantly ur clutch my boy , time to start tearin the tranny out

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again... Time for a stage 2 clutch maybe? any suggestions on a replacement? and any insight on how to remove a cross threaded bolt from my driveshaft where it bolts to the rear end? need to take it out to drop the tranny

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Centerforce Dual Friction. The DF not the DFX. It grips great, no chatter, and has a soft pedal. You are going to have to pull the flywheel and get it resurfaced. It usually scratches it when you shred the clutch.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
^^^ that would be that "wooshing" noise

1 - 13 of 13 Posts