Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing the clutch on my bone stock 99 GT. After hooking the battery back up, I put it on the charger for a while then came back out to try starting it. It turned over and started to fire, then died. I tried starting it again but it will just turn over without starting. Could I have put the car out of timing somehow by turning the crank over by hand? I was thinking that might be the cause, or possibly the starter is dragging and needs shimmed, I didn't put the top bolt back in when I put it together as I've heard of other people doing that. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

·
Registered
468 Posts
loose connection with the switch that lets the car know that the clutch is pushed in while starting? that happened on my buddies f-250

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
car wint jump timing by turning the crank manually. if its turning over, the clutch safety switch is fine. the starter shouldnt need any shiming, everything should line up correctly without any shims.

i would do the following:
1) listen for fuel pump prime
2) make sure fuel pressure swithch is hooked up (drivers side fuel rail)
3) make sure maf is hooked up
4) scan car to see if any codes appear

see if any of that helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't unplug any sensors, and I double-checked them to be sure they were still there, and everything is hooked up. The fuel-pump prime is that short whining noise when you turn your key to the "on" position, isn't it? That noise is still there. I don't have a diagnostic tool, so I guess the next step is to find somebody with one.

·
Registered
717 Posts
When you had the tranny out did you have anything under the engine or did you let it settle down till it stopped? I'm wondering if you might have pinched the wiring harness bettween the engine and the fire wall.

Its also possible that a wire could have gotten in between the engine and the tranny bell housing. I had that happen on an old blazer of mine, it just happened to be the hot wire to the coil. It would crank but not start... Just some ideas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had support under the motor when the tranny was out, but maybe I pinched a wire between the firewall and the motor at some point. Would a bad connection in that harness keep the car from starting?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the starter tested and it was shot, it wasn't engaging right. I bought a new starter and put it in and it's doing the same exact thing. I bought a reman, so I'm going to have it tested, too. If I cut a wire for the ignition system, would it throw a code?

·
Registered
428 Posts
it might, and it might not. I would check all your wires before you try another starter, It will get expensive replacing your starter all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts