Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i drove to school today then i left class and went to start my car and it just made this clicking sound and wouldnt start. so i got campus security to come give me a jump but it still wouldnt start. i had full battery power so obviously it wasnt the battery. if i continued to hold it in the start position, the clicking would die off and nothing would happen. i had a couple guys give me a push start and it started up just fine. does this mean that it is the starter that is the problem? anything else it could be? i have a 2004 v6 with the 3.9l. where is the starter on the car? what does it look like? any help is greatly appreciated. hopefully i provided enough info

·
Registered
923 Posts
3.8L.... starter should be on the passengers side near where the bell housing for the tranny meets the engine. Check for corrosion around your battery cables of course, but it sounds like a starter to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also i did notice that one of the spark plug cables was loose and it was corroded inside. i reattached the cable firmly but im sure that i need new ones. could this be the reason my car wont start? the other cables all look fine and fit tightly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3.8L.... starter should be on the passengers side near where the bell housing for the tranny meets the engine. Check for corrosion around your battery cables of course, but it sounds like a starter to me.
mine is the 3.9l but it should be the same layout. i didnt see any corrosion on the battery cables and they are firmly connected to the terminals. thanks for the help im gonna see if i can get it off and take it into orielly's

·
Registered
923 Posts
Forgot that they changed the engine halfway through '04.
The battery cable doesn't need to come off, just the connectors on the end of the wire. They sell new ones @ autozone for cheap. Get them and put them on nice and tight (be sure to clean the terminals on the battery with a baking soda paste) and see if it helps.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yeah I would def. replace plugs and wires if its corroded, no question, do it right now. ... Now! And yeah the starter is in the same place as on the 3.8, pass. side at bell housing. Silverish metal cylinder, held on by 2 bolts and a power cable (1nut) and electrical connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update... i found the starter! thanks for the help. since my car is lowered its a real pain to get under but i jacked it up just enough to barely see the starter. unfortunately the jack was as high as it would go and i couldnt get a good look, but i did feel and i didnt really feel any corrosion. the wires seemed tight and in place. so i got out a hammer and knocked on it a few times then i tried to start it up and it didnt go at first, but on the second try it started right up. does this mean i fixed the problem? do fixes like this usually last? i would love to go out and buy all the things i need but ive been unemployed for 5 months and i just got a job last week. so i am still broke as hell. im just trying to figure out if experienced people think this will last for say 1000 more miles... 2 weeks?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
The "hammer start" technique will last you only a few starts normally. Go with it and see how long it lasts. If the problem comes back, then replace the starter, 90% sure that's it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you hammered on it and it started then it is likely that your brushes inside are worn. You can have it rebuilt for half of what a new one costs.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^What's turn-around on that though? And really half the price?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah. I know a guy w/ a small shop near where I live and he rebuilds them for $40 for most cars and small suvs/trucks. He did mine for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts