Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I traded up for a 98 Cobra recently and everything was great for a while.
Now it will not crank and I have no idea what else I can do.

A week ago the car wouldn't crank, the battery was dead and seemed to not be holding a charge. I charged it up, next day it wouldn't crank. The cranking amps were underrated so I bought a new one and it was okay for 5 hours then it died. So I assumed it was alternator, changed it out and then it still won't start but it turns over like crazy. So I checked the fuel line - no gas getting to front of car, & I know it's the fuel b/c if I spray some Ethr& it will start for a few seconds till you hit the gas and it kills it.

I can't hear fuel pump kick in - so I change fuel pump and filter - still won't crank. I'm getting 12 volts at the sending unit, I turn the car to ON and the pump comes on, the gas is getting to the front but not much pressure, BTW all fuses are good... any ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator maybe? If ur not getting pressure that would make since, plus its like a $15 part and 10 minutes to change

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking if the regulator was bad it wouldn't be getting any fuel instead of a little bit. I guess it's worth a shot though, Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed regulator - still won't crank, there is some fuel getting to the front - if I press in on relief valve there is some gas but it's not shooting out like normal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you have a theft light blinking? if you do its your PATS system. If it is then cycle the key several times until it blinks fast and turns off. That will override the PATS for a little while until you can get a new key made it. Sometimes the key will lose memory.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This may be a long shot but the last time mine would not start it ended up just being the reset button for the fuel pump that's in the trunk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theft light is blinking, not in any kind of sequence. I didn't think of that b/c it's been blinking since i bought it. The car actually was stolen from the previous owner. I'll try it out thanks for the advice, oh and ya I checked the inertia switch first thing, it wasn't popped though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried cycling the key for 10 minutes and at first the theft light just kept blinking rapidly but after a while it stops for a second and blinks in a sequence of one long and two short. So it blinks like ...THEFT....THEFT.THEFT..... It still won't start though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
See when my key lost memory, it would turn over forever and not start. Then once in a blew moon I coul dget it to crank. It would run like ****, like it was missing, and shut off after a minute or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It could be that I only got 1 original key, but I wonder if it was the PATS wouldn't it stop it from cranking completely or does it just kill the injectors or something? Wondering b/c if I spray it with ether it cranks, but runs like **** like you were saying and dies.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No PATS lets it crank just somehow it cuts the fuel supply somehow. Im not real positive on the workings of the system, i just know it can be a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya theft light flashes extremely fast when you turn the key to ON and after a few minutes it flashes what looks like a code as one long flash followed by two short flashes

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's the CPS sir. (crank shaft position sensor) Make sure the terminals/wires leading to are all in good shape and connected properly. If so, replace it. Your pump will still prime when you turn your ignition to the ON position but when you go to crank it the sensor will not send the signal to the computer to begin fuel injection process. If you already checked this and I didn't notice I apologize, but it seems you've gone through everything else and that's actually pretty common... Well I guess it's not I just work on cars too much. Anyways if it's not the CPS you could have a malfunctioning computer, but I would put my money on the cps man. good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: All of this key recognition stuff is beyond me, so I ended up having to get it towed to the dealer. Got it re-keyed and it doesn't recognize the keys. Dealer says it's a bad transciever and they ordered a new one 5 days ago, still waiting on it to get here. I hope it gets in today and fixes the problem, I'm SICK of driving a borrowed 82 GMC pickup. Hope my misfortune may help someone in the future. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say sell it and move on lol.... Sounds like a total pain in the ass!!!!

Question... what did you trade to get it if you dont mind me asking...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts