Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I sold the 4.6 BB out of my 89 coupe. I am moving forward with the Big Bore Stroker build. I have finally decided after years and years, I like the idea of a drag car over a drag/street car. So with that, here goes.

I know I named this 'fastest NA build', and on limited Military funds, I think I should be able to get close to Scotts record time or beat it considering he never really got a full on pass.

Motor specs on that old BB combo-
WAP alum block, Big Bore by Modular Performance/Mike/John T
Stock Cast crank
SVT Cobra H beams with ARP 2000 bolts
Diamond Big Bore pistons with 2.4cc of valve notches, putting compression around 10.8:1
03/04 Aviator heads, Livernois CNC ported, VJ done by [email protected] along with some bowl work and blending
Cams were off the shelf Comp 278s installed at a specific centerline by NA SVT
Sullivan intake and Holley Pro-Systems carb from John T
Kooks 1 3/4" Longtubes with 3" collector with a custom 3" tru X by me
T45 trans, worked by [email protected]
4.56 gears on 28" slicks
Tubular front end, with 90/10s in the front and 50/50s in the back
Tubular upper and lower control arms and a ARB

It honestly is a pretty simple setup. I did what I needed to do, to get it to run. I never dialed in the suspension or motor as well as I should have. The results speak for themselves. It went [email protected] NA with a 1.40 60ft. and [email protected] on a 150shot running a little rich. This is all with a fully shifted 5 speed trans and very minimal time behind the wheel. Not giving excuses, just think the car maybe had a little more in it.

Moving along to the current build. I decided no more street/strip setup. Boss block was ordered, and I almost pulled the trigger on GT heads, but I couldn't commit, as my pocket book wouldn't allow it. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, but also with as much power that can be made with the parts available to me. While deployed last year, the Boss block was ordered, along with Billet Oliver Connecting Rods, and Diamond big Bore pistons. I was supposed to get sent a stroker crank from a member on another forum, but it turned out to be a normal stroke crank. Oh well. Lesson learned, so I put in an order a couple months ago for a new stroker 3.75" crank from [email protected]

Heads are 03/04 specs that have been worked about as much as the castings will allow. im not going to go too much into them, but lets just say they flow about 10% more CFM than my Livernois box heads. I should be getting these in the next week or two.

Cams will be custom spec'd by Todd (NA SVT) and myself. Trying to keep the rpm in the 8000rpm range, so I don't have to shell out 6-8k for a trans to handle more rpm than that.

Intake will be the same sullivan and Ill be using the 850cfm carb till I can or need to afford a new. As I said, as budget as possible, but still making great power.

Headers I already have, purchased from a member on here, kooks 1 7/8" longtubes, 3.5" collectors, and I will be again building the custom X pipe with Bullet dumps again.

Rear will remain the same, along with the suspension save for strange 10 ways on all 4 corners.

I will keep the thread updated with as much info and pics as I can. It may not be as exciting as Scotts, but I have no doubt that this combo will run deep deep 9s on motor.

Thanks!

Headers and me getting the block ready for the hone.

All machine work will be accomplished at KPE in Wichita Falls, Texas.

Attachments

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well. Updates. I found a set of GT heads on eBay. bought and paid for. Looks like I will be getting even closer to my goal. Ill take some pics and put them up when I get them.

Only part that sucks, is not only do I have to spend money on the heads, and working them, but I need new custom pistons now...:(

Oh well. Im excited I got them though.

Also, I stopped by the machine shop and they have my block honed all up and are just waiting on me to get them the new pistons to balance the crank. Then Ill be assembling it.

Attachments

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried to mock up the Kooks headers. I knew they weren't going to match up perfectly, but I remembered reading somewhere that you can open up the bolt holes and they would fit. Well, not with the kooks. Thier flanges aren't huge or have enough material to grind away like say BBK or another company where the flange is big and has a lot of material to deal/work with.

So...I ditched the Kooks. Sold them. I have a hook on getting a custom set of kooks, I will be paying out the nose for them...but hey, gotta pay to play.

Attachments

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice!!! Nothing wrong with needing custom pistons. You'll get exactly what you want that way anyway. On that note, what compression ratio are you aiming for?
Alot. lol

When I order the pistons itll be in the high 14s...ill leave a little room in case I need to shave the heads or deck a little...

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Update.

Was on the phone with a company about ordering my pistons. Cant get them ordered till I have the final number for the heads, ie chamber size, free drop, valve size, along with cam specs and all other things before I can custom order a set.

So with that, my heads have been pushed into #1 prioirty. Checking all around for custom valves and going to get them on order soon from whoever wants to help out the soon to be record holder of the fastest NA modular...ever.

I need all the help I can get...this is getting expensive. These heads and custom pistons just took the budget and almost doubled it....

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update...These came pretty quick...I know...I didn't post up here my build till now. This build has been going on for a couple months. Just thought I would post up...

Current day...

Well. This project might be put on hold for a bit. Going through a divorce. Trying to be civil about it...but women will be women.

I swear, after this one. Im going gay...even a gay guy has his **** in order over ANY women! Just sucks cause I like boobs.

Anyway...NO way is this or this woman going to keep me from my dream motor/car. I WILL finish this project and follow through. I thought about selling everything and just getting out of the drag racing game...but stepped back and realized she would win if I did that. F that! I don't lose.

Just thought Id give an update. May not seem much progress or posting till its over. Hopefully its easy and 61 days from today itll be done.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

What fuel do you plan on using?
Got a drum of 116 in the shop....it should do the trick.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Man, you went from setting up a plan for the worlds fastest NA modular motor, to buying and receiving new parts, and getting divorced in 1 hour and 1 minute...quite impressive ;)

Sorry man, I'm just kidding. That really sucks but hopefully it will be relatively painless and you'll get to focus on your dreams. Best of luck!

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, you went from setting up a plan for the worlds fastest NA modular motor, to buying and receiving new parts, and getting divorced in 1 hour and 1 minute...quite impressive ;)

Sorry man, I'm just kidding. That really sucks but hopefully it will be relatively painless and you'll get to focus on your dreams. Best of luck!
Yeah...just completely forgot to post it up on here...quick updates. lol.

Ill be good to go. Just want it over with.

ANother update tho I forgot to mention.

I put the down payment on my new transmission. It will be a worked TKO 600, by [email protected]. It will be a syncro trans, and said he should be able to get it to shift at 8500 like I want it to.

I have bits and pieces of everything...just not one thing thats done! lol.

Soon. I hope to be racing by the end of this year...beginning of next. Maybe Ill sell one of my vehicles to help.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
If you haven't already worked out the header issue there are a few shops up here in MI that I know are more than capable of handmaking you a set of headers. Diamond Fabrication out of Warren, MI is the first. I have known Diamond for several years. He does all of my father's exhaust work.

The other being PFE (Performance Fabrication and Engineering) Gary Cook was the guy who taught Diamond Hugo everything he knows. Both are stand up guys. I would be comfortable with dealing with each of them. However it usually the wait from PFE is usually quite long.

I would definitely try Diamond. I have his number at home, and can PM it to you if you're interested...

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Sorry to hear about the divorce, if you need anything just holler.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Need an intake? I have a spare fr500C intake I wont be using. I was going to have adapters made so I could use it on my 5.4 but it turns out I would need a massive cowl to cover it all up if the adapters were made to match the angle of GT heads.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
How much do FR500C intakes go for?

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you haven't already worked out the header issue there are a few shops up here in MI that I know are more than capable of handmaking you a set of headers. Diamond Fabrication out of Warren, MI is the first. I have known Diamond for several years. He does all of my father's exhaust work.

The other being PFE (Performance Fabrication and Engineering) Gary Cook was the guy who taught Diamond Hugo everything he knows. Both are stand up guys. I would be comfortable with dealing with each of them. However it usually the wait from PFE is usually quite long.

I would definitely try Diamond. I have his number at home, and can PM it to you if you're interested...

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Sorry to hear about the divorce, if you need anything just holler.

Yeah. I got with Kooks. They will be making a off the shelf header, that isn't exactly off the shelf...for a lot more money. Luckily I got a dealer that is hooking me up. Still a lot of money but will fit for sure and will not have any issues.

If I was in your neck of the woods I would probably take you up on it...I have a guy down in florida too...but by the time I make the trip with gas and everything AND the price of the headers...its not worth it.

Eh. Thanks...I doubt Ill need anything but money for the lawyer. lol. She decided to up and leave with my boy on saturday claiming 'I was hostile' and she needed to get him away from me cause its not safe...this was of course after 3 hours of her trying to get me to have 'breakup sex' with her...after telling her no over and over and her physically TRYING to get it...she got pissed stormed out back to her room. I got woke up by the door shutting at 0600 and her leaving with my son...I figured she was going to go home for a day or two...well she cleaned out her room and some of my sons room and took MY expedition and semi moved out...I didn't hear her moving everything cause she opened up her window in her room and threw everything out in trash bags so she wouldn't go in and out the front door and wake me so I couldn't stop her. She knew what she was doing was wrong...but she tries to justify it by saying I am hostile...mind you...my children and parents were with me at the time I was 'hositle'...this bitch is so drama!

Man...Sorry for all that...Just a shitty Memorial Day weekend for a Vet...Take my son from me and claim Im hostile, but only after I wouldnt pound you out cause you are a whore. Unbelieveable...

Anyway. Not much else happened with the car...lol.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Need an intake? I have a spare fr500C intake I wont be using. I was going to have adapters made so I could use it on my 5.4 but it turns out I would need a massive cowl to cover it all up if the adapters were made to match the angle of GT heads.

Man I would love to do that...but I really don't want to switch to EFI. I will be taking my sullivan intake, and have my machine shop water jet me some GT/GT500 intake flanges in 6061 alum, and I will mock them up and weld them on my motor, cut and port and cut and port to make it work...

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

How much do FR500C intakes go for?
1500-2k.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what are your ET goals for the build? I know JPC has gone at least [email protected] with theirs and IIRC they went faster than that but I can't find it. Looking at the times and trap speeds I am assuming 1/8th mile time so far correct?

Why the carburetor over EFI?

Best of luck with the build brother!
ET goal is to best Scott Cushmans 9.2 in the 1/4. Thats my goal NA.

Carb is easier and makes more power. Don't ask me why...but it does. And I proved it with this motor.

After I get the most out of it NA and possible take the record...I will be spraying the dog **** out of it and see how fast it goes. lol

·