Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating doing this for a while now, but do you guys think its worth the hassle of putting in cams and headers in if I have to get my car smogged every two years?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do you live in cali? i heard some will let you go without a visual inspection, but I guess you have to have close ties with them. I'm moving to cali in the next 2 years and when I do so I'm probably not gonna meddle with anything that would illegalize my car. ie il get jba shorties and maybe a bolt on h-pipe that i can replace with stock every 2 years. uninstalling and reinstalling headers is way too much a hassle to be done on a regular basis. il make up for the power with a sweet as sin KB twin screw :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I live in cali. I want a way to make more power, but im still not to the point where I can buy a KB or anything close to that. Thats why I was thinking heads and cams would be okay. But I dont really feel like having to do that much work to putting it back to smog legal. But I dont know. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
nitrous seems like it would be your best bet. I.E power when you want/need it but relatively stock when required

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
lol if u get pulled over with a kb in the engine ball its an automtic state ref,3 guys with 03/04 cobras i know got em on n all 3 got ref's, if you go l/t's n cams its best you know a friend that has hook ups n smog ;)

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Heads, cams and headers will cost you about as much as a CARB certified introductory level supercharger.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Doesn't it have to be tested and certified by the state of California before it can get a CARB #?

·
Registered
408 Posts
from the kb website

" 50 State Legal Status
Kenne Bell has been certifying 50 State Legal products with CARB (California Air Resources Board) since 1990. It is our intention to sell only supercharger kits or other products that do not affect emissions. As new vehicle models are introduced, we may not have completed testing when the catalog and price list was printed. All products with one (*) asterisk designation are emissions tested and 50 State Legal. All products with two (**) asterisks designation are not yet certified by CARB as 50 State Legal. They may be 1. pending approval 2.under test or 3. already approved since the catalog and price list was printed. When considering purchasing a (**) product, please call and check to determine if the product has become 50 State Legal. You can also check the internet at www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/DEVICES/devices.htm, then type in "supercharger system." Under Federal Law, vehicle manufacturers, dealers or agents cannot void vehicle powertrain or emissions warranties due to the presence of a properly installed Kenne Bell product. "

and from faq section

Are Kenne Bell Supercharger Kits "50 State Legal?" Since 1991, all our kits have been "50 State Legal" with a California Air Resource Board Exemption Number. Some kits may be only "49 State Legal" and in the process of being California certified so, if in doubt, check with us. You can also check the internet at www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/DEVICES/devices.htm. Then type in "supercharger system."

·
Registered
329 Posts
If u get cams dont get anything passed a stage 2 for cali smog. Also you can only get shorty headers to pass the visusal.

I have custom blower cams with a Carb legal Vortech. Pass smog with no problems. Car actually runs cleaner than stock lol.

Oh side note: KEEP STOCK MID PIPE.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i was thinking about heads and cams. but could I really get a entry level supercharger for that price?

and how come you say keep the stock mid pipe?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
You can't pass inspection without the stock mid-pipe.

An new basic entry level centrifugal supercharge kit without intercooler will run around $3,700-$3,900 and installation is easy. Used kits are less. It's been a while since I looked at prices but if I remember correctly cams are around $650, new valve springs are extra, intake $450-500, sending off your heads to have them ported and polished is around $1,500-$1700, shorty headers are probably $300, and a tuner is maybe $350. You could buy the Trick Flow heads and cams kit but that's around $3,000. All of that will get you around 300 rwhp. The supercharger kit on a completely stock motor with no bolt on will get you around 350 rwhp.

Note: I know that the supercharger price is accurate. I'm guessing on the others but I think they are close.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
would you recommend ever buying just a used supercharger kit? Are there ways to tell if theres something wrong without putting it on the car?

·
Registered
329 Posts
would you recommend ever buying just a used supercharger kit? Are there ways to tell if theres something wrong without putting it on the car?
If u buy one used send it out to have it rebuilt anyways. Thats what I did and it was still cheaper than a new kit and I havent had any problems since.

·
Registered
329 Posts
about how expensive is something like that to get it rebuilt?
Depends on what you get. I got a vortech V2-SQ and I think it was $700 something I could b wrong cuz it was 3 years ago. I dont know if the prices have changed since then. But I got a warrenty with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh yeah, with the warranty and everything, thats definitely worth it. So should i expect the prices to be somewhere close to 700?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
It depends on what's wrong. If they are just replacing seals, it costs about $400 to have ProCharger rebuild a P1-SC.

·
Registered
329 Posts
oh yeah, with the warranty and everything, thats definitely worth it. So should i expect the prices to be somewhere close to 700?
It depends on what's wrong. If they are just replacing seals, it costs about $400 to have ProCharger rebuild a P1-SC.
/\/\ What he said. It all depends it verys but yeah you can expect something around that range.

I built a compete used kit and I only paid $2500 for everything. Which included Vortech V2-SQ, 39lbs injectors, SVT focus pump, Battery relocation kit, L MAF, and Boost Gauge.

Shop around you can find some good deals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts