Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so ive got a sound coming from my 94 gt that is really troubling me. Sometimes ill be in 2nd or 3rd gear and in the high rpm's when i go WOT I hear some sort of metallic sound coming from the engine. It seems like it stops pulling but im not 100% sure. The car has 164k miles so im worried it could be a piston or bearing issue. Anyone have any insight or ideas?

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
Alright so ive got a sound coming from my 94 gt that is really troubling me. Sometimes ill be in 2nd or 3rd gear and in the high rpm's when i go WOT I hear some sort of metallic sound coming from the engine. It seems like it stops pulling but im not 100% sure. The car has 164k miles so im worried it could be a piston or bearing issue. Anyone have any insight or ideas?
Sounds like a can of marbles? GET OUT OF THE THROTTLE! That my friend is detonation, and that can eat your **** up. What is your mod list, and I mean everything, even timing?

·
Registered
220 Posts
My guess its a combo of shitty gas and to much timing.... get a timing light pull your spout connector and see what you got... with my gt I run 12 to 13 degrees with 93 octane gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mods are magnaflow catback, and now that im thinking about it thats all ive got for performance stuff :/ i only use shell gas but i put 87 in it. And yes it kind of does sound like a can of marbles. Scares the s*** out of me cause its my DD for now and i only picked it up 2k miles ago. The previous owner didnt know much so as far as i know everything else is stock motor wise

Would running higher octane stop this problem? Also what would be the consequences of detonation? Cause in total ive probably heard this sound about 10 but have only stayed on it about 2-3 times while ive heard the sound

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
You should probably go through the car. Check plug gap and condition, things of that sort. And higher octane never hurts.
Agreed^
But for safety sake pull some timing. Detonation can cause all sorts of badness like cracking pistons, bending rods, etc. Big $ stuff

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
The mileage tells me that carbon buildup on the pistons can also cause detonation. Check and pull some timing, then look for fuel additives that might help clean the engine.

Jerry

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
When's the last time you did a good tune up? Carbon buildup is a good point, run some seafoam, check and gap the plugs, etc

·
Registered
220 Posts
try running 93 octane gas... that is a cheap easy thing to try and i think you will find it will help with the detonation a lot... don't just fill up on 93 and go out and floor it, give it a wile to run through the system and burn off the access 87 octane in the fuel lines. that's what i would try first... and if it doesn't fix it your not really out anything because you need gas to drive anyways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the first thing im going to do is try using higher octane gas and see what that does. If that doesnt solve the problem than its just another reason to get my other motor built quicker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts