Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 2011 V6, make a good auto-cross car? I would think the weight balance would be better than the 5.0. I believe the V6 uses the GT rear axle, I would also think a used V6 can be bought much less than a GT. I believe there are companies that sell mods, to upgrade the suspension and handling of the base model cars. I have been told, the S197 is a far better platform for road racing, than the SN95 or fox platform.
Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I've had 3 new Fox bodies. 1980, 1981 and a 1986. Without proper frame strengthening the Fox bodies are the weakest frames (sub frames) know to mankind. My 2011 v6 has the brakes and suspension, rear end etc. of the 2005-2009 GT from the factory, and you can build to make better from there. The problem is the S197 are pretty big. If you get in a class with similar size cars, it will do pretty good. If you have to run against Miata's, they will be hard to beat because of them being so small and light.

Of course the Fox bodies have a large following and someone will probably give you pointers :)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
deleted......

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
deleted....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had 3 new Fox bodies. 1980, 1981 and a 1986. Without proper frame strengthening the Fox bodies are the weakest frames (sub frames) know to mankind. My 2011 v6 has the brakes and suspension, rear end etc. of the 2005-2009 GT from the factory, and you can build to make better from there. The problem is the S197 are pretty big. If you get in a class with similar size cars, it will do pretty good. If you have to run against Miata's, they will be hard to beat because of them being so small and light.

Of course the Fox bodies have a large following and someone will probably give you pointers :)
No doubt! I have talked with some companies, that make handling specific parts for fox and S197 cars. So, far Ihave been told the S197 is a far superior platform for building a corner carver. I also had fox bodies (2) 79 indy pace cars and tore the seat pans, before adding sub-frame connectors to them. fox chassis are not a good race platform, unless you add lots of supports and bracing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts