Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe. First off the car came originally with a 351 but ended up making 500 some horsepower and being put into a 67 fastback. So it had a cammed 302 with who knows how many miles. Well I blew it up one fine night and decided I had better start looking for a motor.

Fast forward to last month:
My wife announces to me that she is pregnant and we will be having our baby around late December. Ok time to put a move on if this thing ever wants to be done.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago:
My mother in law comes home and calls me. She says this guy at her work has a F150 lariat with a 351 Windsor 4 barrel which was the original motor in the mustang. Better yet the motor had blown in it and he replaced it with a crate motor (block and heads only) which only has 1000 miles on it. Well with gas prices he had no need for the truck and really just wanted it out of the driveway. Bottom line I drove it home that night for 300 dollars with the biggest grin on my face knowing the deal I just got.

Now all the parts like the oil pan and crap are off the old motor so it looks really crappy in these pics but you cant see from underneath the motor is obviously new, and you can tell by looking at the gaskets and the fresh paint all over the block.

So here it is.
First the project car:

and the 300 dollar donor motor truck

Ugly but as I said you cant tell how new the block really is from the top view obviously

and as it sits ready to pull tomorow

I'll keep updating if anyone wants.

I just ordered a chrome oil pan, a new oil pump and a oil pump pickup since the setup is different in a truck then is a car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna go get some pics later but the motor is now out of the truck and we have 13 days till the carlisle all ford nats show which i'm planning on having the stang at if everything goes well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

5/24--Got alot of work done today with some help which made things go much much quicker
The motor is out and all the needless stuff is torn off for the most part here

I have all my seals and gaskets ordered and it will all be in on Tuesday, here you can see the freeze plugs are new

what 302?

so of course we had to see what happened to the 302 that it let go, here are pictures of the carnage

the piston is in 5 peices here if you cant tell

cracked the cylinder wall

some of the valve....

It was a great motor and I ****ed up, hell of a loss.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I gotta ask, what's it sound like when a motor comes apart at speed? The carnage is stellar,,good job. :)

Nice lookin classic stang. congrats on the kid!!!! I have two and somehow I still keep plugging away at this hobby.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^well it's a fresh rebuild so all the gaskets are new. However I have a chrome oil pan on the way and chrome valve covers, dipstick, and air cleaner. I think the block is going to be Ford blue. I'm eliminating points in the distributor, new rear main seal, new front crank seal and a few other things.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New update
5/25 Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. The original intake manifold had some copious amounts of oil on it so it took me the better part of 4 hours to clean the whole motor to get it ready for paint. Here is the progress

^thats better

^this isn't anything yet, parts are coming in as we speak.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5/30 Look at the abundance of fun things here!!!!! Made a run to CJ pony parts and picked up some reproductiong parts.

and an original resto-mod air cleaner FTW

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yay for another update
New oil pump pickup for front sump

Clean fresh internals

One valve cover polished and the other is not here, what a difference. I used Eagle one never dull and the mothers power ball to buff it.

I guess I didn't take any with the new chrome oil pan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
question for you boosted is that a cleavland engine or a windsor?
Windsor, i'm guessing you saw the 4 valve sticker on the air cleaner. That is actually the correct sticker for a reason though. Let me explain, on my VIN the car is decoded as a 351 4 valve in 1969. The problem is, the Cleveland didn't start till 1970 so it was too early to be a cleveland. The windsor is actually in this year called a 4 valve due to the factory 4 barrel carbeurator that is carries.

Today we had to swap the timing cover and water pump off the old 302 since the water outlet and the dipstick hole weren't right. We got it mostly done but we have a problem with a pulley which i'm going to create another thread to explain. It's almost done with exception of this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts