Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week ago I got into an accident. The roads were a bit wet, i was cruising on the highway about 67-70. Speed limit was 60 and it is a pretty straight highway so i wasn't too woried about losing control on any curves. But then i got cut off and in trying to avoid the car i lost control. I first hit the concrete barrier dividing north and south bound lanes, that caused my car to actually spin, and i was facing traffic and went back across all three lanes of traffic. I hit a curb that was dividing the highway and the on-ramp that was about to merge. This is where the bulk of the damage happened. No other cars were hit, and everyone just kept on driving by since it was 6am.

Now time for my real question... what's gunna happen now? This is my first accident of any kind. Car has full coverage through allstate. This is the email i got from the estimator. "I forwarded the estimate to Allstate. They are sending a re-inspector to view the estimate I wrote. Both front rails are split and the estimate totals over $18,500. They will review and get back with you. The process should take a few days."

When talking with him before he used the words frame rails. I always thought if something happened to the frame the insurance company would total it. My car was a 2012 GT premium with the brembo brake package and 11,000 miles.

Since repairs are less than the value of the car, do you think they are just going to repair it? Or is the whole frame rail issue going to deem the car totaled?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Man that sucks! I think it would be up in the air because it is a newer car with moderately low mileage but the frame damage doesn't help!

I know when I crashed my boss, I did around $25-27,000 worth, but my frame was not damaged and only had 3,500 miles on it. Plus it being a boss brought the overall value up.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I'd wait to see whay allstate says, the email you mentioned & the terminology the guy used isn't quite how a licensed estimator usually talks (ie."split framerails").

at 18.5k they may well fix it though but if they guys right & 1 or both of the frame rails need replaced, get rid of the car when you get it back.

it's all speculation without pictures though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd wait to see whay allstate says, the email you mentioned & the terminology the guy used isn't quite how a licensed estimator usually talks (ie."split framerails").

at 18.5k they may well fix it though but if they guys right & 1 or both of the frame rails need replaced, get rid of the car when you get it back.

it's all speculation without pictures though.

This!

Plus depending on what happens when they actually cut into it that price might go up, like mine did.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found out this morning, car is going to be totaled. And i didn't tell the cops i was going that fast. The value of the car that allstate is giving me is $28,495. which i honestly think is more than the price when i bought the car. Got it used with 4K miles. Going to try and see if i can squeeze a bit more out of them and possibly get a '13.

Also, the only thing that happened to me in the crash was some scratches on my left arm i think from the side airbag deploying. Front airbag deployed but never hit me. I had some stiffness the next day on the right side of my neck but that was about it.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Glad you're ok, sad about the car. I'm with Progressive and my rates would hit the roof! But hopefully you're back in the saddle of a new GT soon. Until then, I'll be sure to send up a few rumbling Roush revs for you at every light.

Let us know how it all goes, interested to see how they handle a new car getting totaled like that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wow, glad you are okay.

Sounds like things are going to work out! You know since you had full coverage, I would take advantage of the premium feature (i think that's what it's called) and get some medical treatment even though you just had some stiffness. I was in an accident not too long ago and my lawyers said I had premium coverage, meaning I could get medical help without paying any money and increasing my insurancep payments.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
This whole thread sucks, wrecking the car. Ouch. I'm confused though. I thought these are unibody cars, ie. no frame rails. Can someone fill me in?

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Sucks that, that happened, but sounds like it worked out ok. Now if you had second guesses on your color, etc... Then you can get EXACTLY what you want!

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
That's hard man, glad you are ok

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
This whole thread sucks, wrecking the car. Ouch. I'm confused though. I thought these are unibody cars, ie. no frame rails. Can someone fill me in?
Sub frame I would have to assume.

OP glad you are ok and that Allstate took care of you. They probably would have expected you to go after them for diminished value and figured it was less expensive to get you out of it.

28k should be enough to get you into a nicely equipped car without much out of pocket. My car was less than that but I have no options.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Glad to hear they made a good settlement offer. Now I know what I could expect if I wreck mine in the near future. :)

I would try to buy the salvage though, and part it out or save the drive train if you're going to get another one like it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've went through this twice with my son's 2000 Stage 2 Roush Mustang, both time they wanted to total the Roush due to none of their books have values for the Roush's. Then finally he really did it when some lady did a hit and run and sent him and another car round and round on a 4 lane with the Roush take the worst hit, it broke the passenger wheel off right at the axle. The insurance company required me to get comps due to this very reason. There are no book values for the Roush's anywhere.
I actually spent hours on the computer finding cars that sold and those that were for sale so they wouldn't screw us. The car only had 80k miles, but they give us 12k for the 2000 Stage 2. Just in case any of you run into this same problem, the insurance company can't figure in the Carfax into the price of the car. His car had two major accidents that both of them were over 8k to repair, the last one was going to be over 10k to repair so they totaled it.
It's a good thing you don't have to go through that with yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts