Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, mustang bias aside, 2008 WRX STI vs 2008 Mustang GT. Who would win? I say STI from dig and more than likely from a roll and if there were any curves ever more so in favor of the STI.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I beat an STI 07 with my 07 with CAI. I even started behind him and drafted and took him on the right at around 60 MPH by 2 cars.
Drivers race. I have a stick. Keep safe and on the track if you can

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the 2008 STi's are actually slower than the 2007s STi's

·
Registered
128 Posts
stock sti 1/4 mile is usally 13.3 to 13.5
stock gt 1/4 mile is usally 13.8 to 14.1
both cars take very well to mods and with a few bolt ons the mustang will take it. The only reason the mustang might win stock to stock would be b/c the sti is much harder to launch

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think it would be easier to launch with awd and you'd rarely slip dropping the clutch. Anyone want to agree with me?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I would think it would be easier to launch with awd and you'd rarely slip dropping the clutch. Anyone want to agree with me?
STI's are harder to launch because if they dont get it perfefct they will bog down everytime. if they do get it right they will walk an mustang from a dig easily. from a roll...well, thats a toss up.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
The toughest race I have gotten into was with a Lancer Evo with a twin turbo... I got him from a dig but 70mph roller was a photo and I really don't know who won. Where did those times come from as far as a WRX doing 13.3 stock?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The last road test I read of a 280hp Evo VIII netted a 13.8 over the 1/4 by dropping the clutch at 6000 to get all four wheels moving. In my view, no owner would ever be this brutal so the 1/4 time is far more academic and I believe the Mustang would theefore be even if not ahead.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a WRX non STI and it was very hard to launch. You got to think of it as a two stroke motor as you have to stay into the boost. The other thing that Subarau has weird is at 5000 it looses boost for a split second. Not sure if they improved on this.

Plus who would want to drive a wagon, can not believe the STI is not a sedan? we have the cool factor in the looks department.;)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Don't those things cost $10k more than a Mustang GT anyway?

I know Edmunds loved the Sti over the Mustang, but they made the mistake of using the SGT as a comparison for a stock for stock showdown in similar MSRP price points.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The last road test I read of a 280hp Evo VIII netted a 13.8 over the 1/4 by dropping the clutch at 6000 to get all four wheels moving. In my view, no owner would ever be this brutal so the 1/4 time is far more academic and I believe the Mustang would theefore be even if not ahead.
i see em doin it all the time.. you can hear on the tree WHANNNNWAHNNN BAM! sounds like it breaks something everytime..haha

·
Registered
451 Posts
it might depend on the driver to win, but im not worrying about racing an sti because the gt is so much nastier to me.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
The toughest race I have gotten into was with a Lancer Evo with a twin turbo... I got him from a dig but 70mph roller was a photo and I really don't know who won. Where did those times come from as far as a WRX doing 13.3 stock?
a regular WRX cant hit those times, but an STI can.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
those magazine times are just garbage! evos VIII's run low 13's also, and evoIX's can get into 12's stock with a good driver.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I've raced both evos and stis with my current mods, they are fast cars, but it was pretty even with them. They didn't spank me or anything....really close races, both cars were stock though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts