Modded Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
impecunious
7,412 Posts
It doesn't matter if you're matching speed with someone going 120mph to slow down someone going 150mph, what you're doing is still more dangerous to not only yourself, but the car you're matching speed with, the speeder, and everyone else behind you.
No, I'm not. I'm not affecting the person I'm matching (I don't drive right next to them, and I try not to ride their blind spot) and as I've explained already, I'm affecting no one behind me except the impatient asshole, and then at that point, his safety relies on himself, not me. He slows down to the speed of traffic and his likelyhood of an accident decreases significantly.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
No, I'm not. I'm not affecting the person I'm matching (I don't drive right next to them, and I try not to ride their blind spot) and as I've explained already, I'm affecting no one behind me except the impatient asshole, and then at that point, his safety relies on himself, not me. He slows down to the speed of traffic and his likelyhood of an accident decreases significantly.
Except he doesn't. He rages at you and then passes in the emergency lane anyway. Then everyone who backs up behind him rages at you as well. Just stay out of his way. As soon as you move, he's gonna go back to hauling ass like he was before except now he's more pissed off.

I also like to consider the possibility that this guy may have just got the call that his wife just got taken to the hospital and is labor with his first child... or something important like that. You're now holding him up. Let the person go! If I'm the guy in that right lane, I will speed up or fall back to let him go if you don't.

·
impecunious
7,412 Posts
Except he doesn't. He rages at you and then passes in the emergency lane anyway. Then everyone who backs up behind him rages at you as well. Just stay out of his way. As soon as you move, he's gonna go back to hauling ass like he was before except now he's more pissed off.

I also like to consider the possibility that this guy may have just got the call that his wife just got taken to the hospital and is labor with his first child... or something important like that. You're now holding him up. Let the person go! If I'm the guy in that right lane, I will speed up or fall back to let him go if you don't.
If he rages and goes around that's his own damn fault. And who the **** is backing up behind him? I've said this 3 times now, I'm going the speed of traffic and so is everyone else, except this guy. NO ONE IS GOING TO BE BACKED UP BEHIND HIM.

And if his wife is in labor, driving like an asshole to get there 3 minutes earlier is idiotic, especially because it may mean you don't get there at all.

If you're the guy in the right lane and decide to let him go, okay, no skin off my back. You haven't hurt me, you've just encouraged the guy to continue driving like an asshole.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
So much love in this thread!

So. Much. Love.

·
Pawsitively sexy
10,564 Posts
The only way I'm slowing down is if you're riding my ass in the left lane and I'm already over the speed limit. You better believe I'm going to go the speed limit at that point.

And calling the cops on a driver who is being overly aggressive/all over the place does work. Is it a 100% likelyhood? No, but it's not my job to deal out street justice.

·
impecunious
7,412 Posts
The only way I'm slowing down is if you're riding my ass in the left lane and I'm already over the speed limit. You better believe I'm going to go the speed limit at that point.

And calling the cops on a driver who is being overly aggressive/all over the place does work. Is it a 100% likelyhood? No, but it's not my job to deal out street justice.
Idk, I just feel like, at least around here, they wouldn't take it seriously.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Go drive on the DC beltway for an hour. You'll gladly get out of people's way or they will get you of their way. lol The posted speed limit is 55... which means everybody does 90. If you're not going 90 as well, they'll just run you over. I'm so glad I don't have to put up with that place anymore.

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
NJ is the same way. Speed limit drops to 45 in some places on the highways. Do you think people slow down from 85? **** no.

I cant tell you how many times I've seen construction zones with no hint of construction happening either.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
If he rages and goes around that's his own damn fault. And who the **** is backing up behind him? I've said this 3 times now, I'm going the speed of traffic and so is everyone else, except this guy. NO ONE IS GOING TO BE BACKED UP BEHIND HIM.

And if his wife is in labor, driving like an asshole to get there 3 minutes earlier is idiotic, especially because it may mean you don't get there at all.

If you're the guy in the right lane and decide to let him go, okay, no skin off my back. You haven't hurt me, you've just encouraged the guy to continue driving like an asshole.
You clearly don't understand the concept of traffic flow. If you are matching the speed of the car to your right, any potentially faster traffic, no matter what their speed is, now gets blocked up behind you and the guy to your right. Thus, you ARE blocking traffic. Faster traffic has the right to pass on a multi lane roadway. Slower traffic is to keep right, period. Don't know why you feel the need to say you're not holding up traffic, because you are, plain and simple. Deal with your anger, and stop taking it out on those who drive differently than you. Pass, or be passed. Stop giving a **** about it.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Go drive on the DC beltway for an hour. You'll gladly get out of people's way or they will get you of their way. lol The posted speed limit is 55... which means everybody does 90. If you're not going 90 as well, they'll just run you over. I'm so glad I don't have to put up with that place anymore.
Sounds like Houston. My mother got pulled over on I-45 for doing the speed limit (70) and was told she was obstructing traffic.

·
impecunious
7,412 Posts
It's not even the speed that bothers me. If the speed of traffic is 90 I'm going to go 90. It's the weaving in and out of traffic and specifically going faster than the speed of traffic because you can't be damned to wait a few extra minutes to get home.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

You clearly don't understand the concept of traffic flow. If you are matching the speed of the car to your right, any potentially faster traffic, no matter what their speed is, now gets blocked up behind you and the guy to your right. Thus, you ARE blocking traffic. Faster traffic has the right to pass on a multi lane roadway. Slower traffic is to keep right, period. Don't know why you feel the need to say you're not holding up traffic, because you are, plain and simple. Deal with your anger, and stop taking it out on those who drive differently than you. Pass, or be passed. Stop giving a **** about it.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Sounds like Houston. My mother got pulled over on I-45 for doing the speed limit (70) and was told she was obstructing traffic.
Dude, all I know is around here, I get on the interstate and the guy ahead of me and the guy behind me tend to be the same person until either they get off or I do. People don't go significantly faster to the point that anything would cause any sort of traffic clog.

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
As I said before, yes, you should use your signals, and yes, it is a fundamental part of driving. I use my signals every time too. If you really road rage that badly that you pick up litter and throw it back at them, you need to seriously re-evaluate your life, and get some help man, just sayin.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

So you're THAT asshole.

What right do you have to block someone else's progress? If they're doing 90, stay the **** out of the way. Do you really want to get hit? Do you have any idea how dangerous that is? If you don't like how they drive, call the cops. It's not your place to obstruct anyone else just because you feel entitled and self righteous about it.
Lol... what? :screwy:
They're weaving in and out of traffic because they're impatient assholes with no regard for others.
If people were paying any attention to the suggestion of "keep right, pass left" signs, said asshole wouldn't need to weave. He'd stay in the left lane (most likely) not bothering anyone and passing everyone.

·
impecunious
7,412 Posts
If people were paying any attention to the suggestion of "keep right, pass left" signs, said asshole wouldn't need to weave. He'd stay in the left lane (most likely) not bothering anyone and passing everyone.
I've only seen those signs around here in KY, where it is illegal to cruise in the left lane (And therefore, where I don't do any of this).

And when I say weaving in and out, I don't mean occasionally passing someone doing the speed limit in the left lane and then moving back to the right. I'm talking about the asshole who is going 90 when everyone else is doing 70-75 in a 65 and doesn't keep in a lane for more than 30 seconds. And with a lot of these assholes, it doesn't even matter if you're in the left lane in the process of passing someone on the right, they will speed up to barely fit their car in the gap between you and that person just to get ahead. Can't even wait the 30 seconds to let me pass and get back over. This has happened several times and is part of the reason I do it.
And if they weren't so damn impatient, they wouldn't need to be constantly passing people. There is no need to be going 15-20 over the speed of traffic, in traffic. An empty highway is one thing, but when other people around it's just plain idiotic.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
When I first joined a few years ago, I was somewhat on the same page as royal. I would get really annoyed at that driver coming flying up in traffic. Acting all reckless, weaving, doing 15 or 20 over in traffic. I never saw the harm of me purposely passing the vehicle in front of me that would force him to slow down. That was until Zip chimed in and put me in my rightful place. I wish I could find that exact thread, but it's been years ago.

As Zip pointed out, when driving an truck, you are always on the lookout for people around you. You have to keep in mind for those people are who aren't paying attention, hugging the lines, swerving, cutting people off, or flying way over the speed limit. Not every person on the road is driving a sports car, they don't have the same driving skills, or even the same experience what to do in certain sitiations. Add in a truck pulling a 53 foot trailer of liquid rocket fuel, like in Zip's case, it's a recipe for disaster.

Now add in that vigilante trying to slow this speeder down. When you're blocking that speeder, you're not saving anyone and endangering a lot more than you think. Odds are, that person is dead set on getting somewhere as fast as they can, illegally or not. Maybe they're aggrivated already to begin with. Now, vigilante steps in. He is not driving naturally with the flow of things. The speeder is sitting behind that person waiting for the person to get around. They sit there and wait. They become agitated. He starts riding this persons ass to get his point across that he wants through. Traffic begins to backup behind them during all of this. Add in a couple brake checks for good measure. Vigilante isn't paying attention to where he is driving because he is white knuckled and glued to his mirrors. Next thing you know, the pissed off speeder is getting aggrivated and may even give a nudge. They may be able to control it, but not everyone can hold or recover a slide if it happens. Ask #mustangweek . Next thing you know, they are sliding into the innocent car in the next lane over. Which in turn, clips the rear of the van in the far right lane and sends it spinning. Add in a 80,000 lb semi trying to avoid all of this beside him or him trying to stop his rig before he demolishes a car, jack knifes, or runs off the road.

Let them go by and live your life. It's not your job to be a highway vigilante.

This is not exactly what Zip said, but most of the point. It doesn't have that pinache that Zip's posts do

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
To followup on the "I don't cause a backup" comment.

Take the following example

|-Lane1-|-Lane2-|-Lane3-|

|-Royal-|-Car#1-|-Car#2-|
|-going-|--going-|--going-|
|---75---|---65---|---60---|

|Car3-95+|

|Car4-75|
|Car5-75|
|Car6-85|

imagine, now that coming up behind Royal is a guy doing 95... behind the guy doing 95 is two more guys doing 75.

Royal decides to martyr and slows down to 65 to "stay" with the flow of traffic. Now imagine 10 people doing 75 start piling up. Start moving to go around.

Car6 sees Car5 hitting his brakes slowing down so in anticipation of this, he tries to get into the center lane. Car4 sees Car3 practically slamming on him brakes slowing down, and goes for the center lane. IF this is anything like any sort of moderately populated highway, there is about 1 car space between each of them. Car6 has no clue that Car4 is pulling out and tries to hold out so he can squeeze through the car1 and car2 gap that is starting. Now add on top of that Car3 is getting crazed because he can't get through and tries to squeeze between car1 and car2.

Just an example but I suppose that the dilemma is the following:
I believe that because of Royal, the potential of an accident significantly increases.
from Royal's perspective, Car3's attitude and speeding is at fault.

In my honest opinion Car3(95+ guy) is already a douchebag doing douchebag things but at least he's the only douchebag on the road. And if you get out of his way, he remains the only douchebag on the road.

When you slow down to 65, now there's douchebag#1 (95+ guy) + new guy, douchebag#2 slowing down traffic in the passing lane, left lane, whatever you wanna call it... and then a whole bunch of other douchebag people making douchebag moves.

TL;DR: OP should have used his blinkers.

·
impecunious
7,412 Posts
To followup on the "I don't cause a backup" comment.

Take the following example

|-Lane1-|-Lane2-|-Lane3-|

|-Royal-|-Car#1-|-Car#2-|
|-going-|--going-|--going-|
|---75---|---65---|---60---|

|Car3-95+|

|Car4-75|
|Car5-75|
|Car6-85|

imagine, now that coming up behind Royal is a guy doing 95... behind the guy doing 95 is two more guys doing 75.

Royal decides to martyr and slows down to 65 to "stay" with the flow of traffic. Now imagine 10 people doing 75 start piling up. Start moving to go around.

Car6 sees Car5 hitting his brakes slowing down so in anticipation of this, he tries to get into the center lane. Car4 sees Car3 practically slamming on him brakes slowing down, and goes for the center lane. IF this is anything like any sort of moderately populated highway, there is about 1 car space between each of them. Car6 has no clue that Car4 is pulling out and tries to hold out so he can squeeze through the car1 and car2 gap that is starting. Now add on top of that Car3 is getting crazed because he can't get through and tries to squeeze between car1 and car2.

Just an example but I suppose that the dilemma is the following:
I believe that because of Royal, the potential of an accident significantly increases.
from Royal's perspective, Car3's attitude and speeding is at fault.

In my honest opinion Car3(95+ guy) is already a douchebag doing douchebag things but at least he's the only douchebag on the road. And if you get out of his way, he remains the only douchebag on the road.

When you slow down to 65, now there's douchebag#1 (95+ guy) + new guy, douchebag#2 slowing down traffic in the passing lane, left lane, whatever you wanna call it... and then a whole bunch of other douchebag people making douchebag moves.

TL;DR: OP should have used his blinkers.
I think you think Im doing this on a significantly busier highway than I am. What Im talking about doing would be practically impossible in a 3 lane highway without the guy in the middle lane matching the guy in the far right.
The highway I most heavily drive on is a 2 lane, and hardly anyone does less than 70-75. If they were, I wouldn't match their speed.

But Im done arguing this because no one is getting anywhere.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Everyone is getting it. The number of lanes doesn't matter. Blocking someone intentionally on a 2 lane is no different than blocking someone on a 3 lane. The only difference is there are more cars involved. You don't battle a douchebag with a douchebag.

I could not find the thread I was mentioning, but this is another where zip mentions this. It's 11 pages long, but zip makes damn good points.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/burnout-box/252525-hey-you-f-off.html

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
Florida is home of the crazy fast drivers OR super slow drivers (older people or snow birds). It's almost like a maze getting through traffic. You will get cursed at, flicked off, or road raged against if you're going slow in the fast lane. I drive a ton for my job and the speed governed at 80 sucks because I am constantly battling trying to get around slow drivers, avoiding super fast drivers, and not getting yelled at in the interim.

I'm not a street justice dealer nor do I determine if you're driving is safe. That's the cop's job and the state troopers are all over. The thing about Florida is they use KA band mostly so they are easily detected. In town cops rarely radar for speed - it's mostly the highways where they sit. Atleast here in Tampa that's how it is. I can't tell you how many street races and crazy driving I see on a daily basis. Driving a work truck, naturally my urge to be in my Mustang kicks in when I see this wanting to join in - then my mature, father side kicks in and I see how dangerous it is. I won't lie - I get giddy when I'm at a street light and a race is about to go down. I actually enjoy seeing it, but I do know the dangers. I am not so innocent myself.

I just drive super defensive. I don't taunt people or try to deal justice. If I see someone whom I suspect is drunk, I just avoid them. Cops love patrolling at the AM hours scouring for DUI drivers.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts