Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted my slp line lock install today, and all was well until I started tightening the fitting to the brakes (The short straight piece, not the long master cylinder side). No matter how tight I get that nut, the fitting won't get tight. I pumped the brake and it shot **** everywhere. What am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
can you still see threads sticking out? you may have cross threaded it or just dont have it turning its self in.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here's pics of how I have it setup...As the threads got shorter, it seemed like the slack in the line wasn't getting any shorter with it. We couldn't figure it out at all

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
man i have a 4v so the spot is real thight to get the pics but anyways you need to use teflon tape on the fittings that go into the line lock. also the dark end with the dome goes into the oem line.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the teflon tape make a big difference? (sorry if that was a retarded question lol). And I'm pretty sure I had the dark end with the dome going into the oem line..It's supposed to be a tight fit in the line, right? like it won't move either way?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
damn i just looked at your pics and you chewed the crap out of that fitting. it may be tought to get it in now. start with the little end first. you should be able to get it started by hand and turn it in wiggling the line lock. i got mine to seat all the way in with out a tool then i turned it tight with a short open end wrench. after that you will have to slightly bend the line that goes to the master cylander but you can get it to pop in and turn it tight.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
teflon tape makes the seal to keep your stuff from leaking. but the oem dome piece is a self sealing end so you wont need teflon tape on that end. just a good snug turn.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I have never dealt with a slp line lock. The line lock itself isnt a flared set up like a regular brake line? i know my line lock is so theres not teflon tape needed since the flare is what makes the seal

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
honestly it sounds like your binding the line. push in on the line so it goes in all the way to the bottom. then turn the threaded fitting in. this will help everything line up and seat correctly

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, my dumb friend managed to chew it up a bit. It still grabs though thank god. So is it supposed to sit a certain way, THEN I tighten it? this seems way too complicated for what it is..

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
yeah, my dumb friend managed to chew it up a bit. It still grabs though thank god. So is it supposed to sit a certain way, THEN I tighten it? this seems way too complicated for what it is..
its not really that complicated. have you ever changed a brake line before? its the same thing, except for the part needing teflon tape

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I just have to spend more time tightening the line ALL the way...this just seems crazy lol. Thanks guys, I'll post in the morning with either good or bad news

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
you will get it. just be sure to start it by hand so you dont cross thread the one that you goobered up the threads on. put teflon tape on the 2 fittings that go into the line lock. i over did it and put teflon tape on the brake line its self and it was not neccisary, but it does not hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright guys, I got everything bolted in, and going to the master cylinder is tight like it should be, but that oem line fitting will NOT sit snugly at all. I was convinced it was working today cuz it went so smoothly till it finally got tight and there's still wiggle room there. It sits snug against the solenoid...like the whole unit just moves to and from the oem line fitting..it won't sit tight at all. And this time the bolt is pretty much threaded all the way in...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When I installed mine the side threading into the distribution block once it was tight the line didn't move.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I know that's how its supposed to be..I'm not sure what exactly went wrong here, but i ended up ordering a replacement line with new bolts since i chewed these ones to hell. Maybe with fresh bolts I'll be able to thread them in further without the bolt slipping and I'll be good after that. We'll see haha I"ll update

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
IDK never dealt with SLP line locks... but all the ford fittings are not the SAE brake fittings, they are metric brake fittings... Figured this on out the hard way when I converted to manual brakes and had to run all new brake lines.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys, got my replacement line in the mail today, $26.70 later. The piece I received was slightly longer than the previous one that came with the pic, but I'm still going to blame myself for stripping the first bolt. This line still had to go in every last bit of its thread, but now the system sits tight and hopefully will work when I get around to bleeding it tomorrow :D.
Here's a pic of the old and new line...

The difference between this install was that I used the round side of the wrench and tightened the line to the oem brakes first, then attached the solenoid after I slid the wrench off. Helped me keep a tight hold and not strip this bolt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts