Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas. ok 87 fox 5L rough idle and surging and just doesnt run right in general. pulled codes and the were 22 and 122, which is map sensor and tps. tps voltage is good though. both of them i replaced and still doing it. any thoughts. after i replaced em i reset the comp. (disconnect battery for about 20min?) and same codes came up. iac valve is new as well. whatcha think

·
Registered
581 Posts
how are you checking the TPS? the green and black wire, or green and any ground? if the 2nd, try measuring straight thru the sensor (green and black). its possible the black (ground) wire got cut, and isnt completing the circuit.

as for the MAP, check the vacuum line and make sure its not clogged, or kinked up anywhere. trace the wires and check for shorts or breaks, as that could affect it as well.

something you could try, is the base idle reset, found in the stickies. might want to check your timing and the TFI module on the dizzy to. my TFI went, and the car ran like absolute ****, but still ran. idle surged, ran rough, etc. figure out whats wrong and why before throwing more money at it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
man this sounds like the same thing that happened to me. on my car the tps wasnt working, and i found out the red wire had came off of the plug. bypassed the harness/plug and fixed that problem. i also go a new tps. my check engine light had been on since i bought the car. one day i was bored and did the self diagnostic, told me it was the map sensor. i looked at the map sensor and one of the wires was cut. put it together and my check engine light turned right off. i told the previous owner and he said he had that check engine light on for a long time lol. pretty much what im saying is check the wiring, and check continuity to the computer

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You had to have done something wrong. There's no 3 digit codes on a fox mustang. Those are only for the SN-95 cars. Make sure you're counting the flashes correctly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok. well the tps and map is brand new. i checked the voltage by just penetrating the rubber on the wires by a voltmeter. had the right voltage. ill check the map wires. and i pops and sputters too pretty often when i get on the gas. ill check the codes. im pretty damn sure it was 122 so maybe the ecu is messed up lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe. i can check again but me a 2 others thought i was 22 and 122 but idk. im gonna play with it today and see what happens, i might check the timing chain and get a new distributor and that should fix the poppin problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts