Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving... and something ****ed up

i was going aprox 50 in 4th gear at about 2600rpms and all of the sudden my rpms jumped to 6000. i upshifted to 5th and the rpms didnt move so i put it in neutral. it started smoking inside of the car, and i could smell tranny fluid burning and smoke coming out of the shift boot

what the **** happened. i need help now

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, its under warrenty. and it was completely ****ing random. the car seems to drive okay other than that... i thought it might have been my 4th gear seal.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
if you put it in 5th gear and it still stayed at the same RPMs then most likely,

Your clutch is dead and something is wrong with the engine if it shot up to 6,000 rpms and stayed there with your foot off the gas...

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
if you put it in 5th gear and it still stayed at the same RPMs then most likely,

Your clutch is dead and something is wrong with the engine if it shot up to 6,000 rpms and stayed there with your foot off the gas...

bah... I keep forgetting about the clutch... I had a similar experience on a auto, and the tranny was pretty much toast... could have been the clutch giving up

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
you need another clutch from the way it sounds, what mods do you have done to the car. do you ever race it on the track with sticky tires?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
kenneth, I had this big elaborate post written before I checked again and noticed he was a manual car. My first instinct was torque converter failure of clutchs inside transmission going out.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, im stock. ive done nothing to the tranny. but its driving normal now. idk wtf it is. if my clutch plates are gone, how can i tell?

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Go on the highway at like 40mph in 5th and floor it. If the rmp zings up the clutch is shot, if not then :dunno

How many miles are on the car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts