Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I just did a plug and wire change on my 86 vert... Ran nice and smooth before I did it, Idle at 750 when in gear... Now that i put new plugs and wires in it it runs rougher, and idles at about 400-500 in gear... Not cool... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plugs are gapped properly, new wires and I have double checked them a number of times. only did one at a time so Im certain I didnt mix up the order... Im about to go out and pull each wire as the car is running to see if the idle changes... god I hate getting shocked...

Oh and it is an 86... :)

Not to bad for 500 bucks!!

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so i just went out and played with my wires... one if the clips that locks the wire onto the distributor cap wasn't clicking on good and solid. So I dug an old wire out of the trash and put it on and its running a lot smoother again. granted my idle is still around 550... But its a smooth 550 so Im happy. Any clue how to bump the idle up to 750 or so?

Also just realized that I didn't change out the cap and rotor... Might look into that tomorrow. :)

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Autolite Coppers.
Yeah they should be fine. I'd go ahead and replace your cap/ rotor/ button and see what happens.

I'm sure that someone here can chime in about raising your idle.

Newb moment here, but I had no idea there was a 3.8L in a 86 Fox.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup. i didnt either untill I lifted the hood and didnt see the 4Cyl I was expecting. :) honestly i didnt care about the engine to much, i just need something to drive. and eventually i would like to put a mild 5.0 in this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts