Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know there have been quite a few threads on cluthes but I couldnt find the info I was looking for through the search...

Anyways, my clutch is starting to slip pretty good when I go WOT. I have never had a clutch go bad in any of my cars so I am pretty new at this. This is the stock clutch on my 08 GT. I am running 492/445 to the wheels so I knew the clutch would eventually go.

I have been looking all over online for reviews and what not trying to find the best setup for my car. I dont plan on upping my power level for at least another year or so (built motor) so I need a great setup for this level.

From what I have read/heard I dont want a SPEC clutch. I have heard tons of negatives about them and very few good reviews and I just dont want to chance it. I do plan on re-using the stock flywheel if possible.

I have read that McLeod RST is the way to go. Also heard that is can be used with the stock flywheel and it doesnt cause issues with the stock TOB. I am looking for your opinions and personal experiece with any a/m clutch setup that would be good for me.

I do like the twin disk setup, and I dont want to spend over 1k for the setup. Thank in advance for any/all info.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Ive heard the p51 clutch is good.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i have a centerforce dual friction clutch with the centerforce steel flywheel. it grabs hold pretty good, had it on for about 6-8 months now, no problems. it's a little heavier than stock, but not too bad at all for a DD.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
I have also heard the P51 Clutch is good, holds high power with the feel of the stock clutch... this is what I plan on putting in mine when the stocker goes.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
I have the McLeod RST you are asking about.. I am making 550/585 and destroyed a Spec 3+ along with the input shaft to my stock tranny... I just had to replace the insert on my flywheel. I think I had to upgrade the slave cylinder when I put the spec in... so now I have a built 5 speed and the twin disc clutch and really like the way they work. Drives like a stock clutch and just won't slip, it will be good to 600 rwhp too so you should be good to go for your build.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I have also heard the P51 Clutch is good, holds high power with the feel of the stock clutch... this is what I plan on putting in mine when the stocker goes.
Pretty good clutch. I used the OEM pressure plate, OEM TOB, and had my OEM flywheel resurfaced. The flywheel needs to be replaced if there are high enough spots in it though. Mine was nearly perfectly but wasn't going to take the chance to not have it resurfaced. It feels exactly like stock in the pedal. It will chatter slightly sometimes if you don't give the car any gas in first gear. Not bad at all though. It's held up to all of the abuse that I've thrown at it and that's a lot. The only other clutch I'd run on my car would be the top of the line McLeod.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the response I got from a local installer when I asked about getting the McLeod clutch installed....

"The McLeod twin disc are kind of a nightmare to get correctly shimmed (in other words, the trans may need to come in and out more than once to get it shimmed correctly, which equals more labor costs) and we have had a couple customers that have had problems with them as far as how they engage. We have several 05-up customers making well over 500rwhp still using single disc clutches. I would recommend a Centerforce DFX, if you are set on a dual disc clutch, RPS makes twin disc clutch kits that are pre-shimmed for easy install, we just installed one on a C6 Corvette, smooth engagement and low effort pedal. The price on the RPS twin disk with flywheel is $1599 plus tax and shipping(does not include TOB- recommend using a NEW stock Ford) . The labor runs about $470.

I know Mcleod makes a couple different twin disc, see if they are pre-shimmed now...if not, I'd avoid it"

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
My guys installed my twin with no problem... just takes two people to get it lined up... but i no nothing of the other clutches cobra mentioned...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I havent heard of anyone having issues with the install... I guess I'll just have to look around to find another shop around that is confident they can do and have experience with other installs.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im sure my stocker would have lasted that long... but it just couldnt handle the extra 230rwhp/200rwtq. Poor little stocker, it did good for a while though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am running MT ET Streets on a spare set of 17s. I have been the the strip twice since I have had the car. I do plan on going a few times this comming year.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
McLeod RST/ stock slave

Spec 3+/ stock slave and steel braided hydraulic line

Centerforce DFX/ stock slave and steel braided hydraulic line

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I made the order last night, Mcleod RST with a Fidanza steel flywheel. Trying to find a good shop for the install still. I think I have found the place, calling them for a quote and try to get it scheduled if the price it right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.