Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i'm ordering some hid's tonight but before I press the order button I need some help. I want to retain my hi/lo feature so here's what I'm wanting to order and I want to make sure I order a kit that will work with my car

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

wattage: 35w
bulb type: 9007/hb5 hi/lo
bulb color: 6000k

do i need to put anything for hid harness and error code eliminator? thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
no. DDM will send everyting you need to blind the **** outta oncoming traffic. are these going into factory housings or have you replaced the housings with aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no. DDM will send everyting you need to blind the **** outta oncoming traffic. are these going into factory housings or have you replaced the housings with aftermarket ones?
I'm not blinding the **** out of anyone. I have projector housings coming as well, not using the factory halogen ones. I'm not ****ing stupid enough to stick a xeon bulb in something designed for a halogen.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Look at the correct size you need for those projectors. If I remember correctly, 9007 is the size for stock headlight housings. BTW are you going for aftermarket retrofit projectors? Because the projector headlights from ebay and americanmuscle have a pretty heavy scatter. Post a link to the new headlights and I'll be able to tell you what you need.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Btw OP, chill out a little, R3dFyre02 was just making a joke lol. DDM HIDs are great but they're not going to blind the **** outta most people lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah my bad, just seems everyone gets uptight when hids are mentioned and I thought he was trying to be a dick, my apologies.

these are the projectors I'm going to order, I don't really like the way they look too much but I figured they're better for this application than the stock halogens
Raxiom Chrome Dual Mustang Halo Projector Headlights - LED (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com

I'm open to other suggestions about the correct housings as well.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
I actually had a set of those a while back lol:

They do scatter light and the cutoff isn't a lot better than the stock housings. My advice would be to use the 9007 bulbs in stock housings if they're in good shape. The aftermarket projectors you linked to use H7 bulbs for low beam and H1 for high beam (though you can keep the low/high and put 4 HID bulbs in there with a simple single beam HID kit and a relay that switches the ballast output). If you're interested in doing a high quality projector retrofit, here's a good thread on going about doing it: Cheap Bi-Xenon Hid Projector Idea that just might do the Trick ($100).... - SVTPerformance

For use in the stock housings though, what you posted is all you need, the DDM high/low kit includes a relay harness as well. The only thing you might consider is stepping up to 55W ballasts. Not necessary, but why not get the best components the first time 'round :yes

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually had a set of those a while back lol:

They do scatter light and the cutoff isn't a lot better than the stock housings. My advice would be to use the 9007 bulbs in stock housings if they're in good shape. The aftermarket projectors you linked to use H7 bulbs for low beam and H1 for high beam (though you can keep the low/high and put 4 HID bulbs in there with a simple single beam HID kit and a relay that switches the ballast output). If you're interested in doing a high quality projector retrofit, here's a good thread on going about doing it: Cheap Bi-Xenon Hid Projector Idea that just might do the Trick ($100).... - SVTPerformance

For use in the stock housings though, what you posted is all you need, the DDM high/low kit includes a relay harness as well. The only thing you might consider is stepping up to 55W ballasts. Not necessary, but why not get the best components the first time 'round :yes

So those housings aren't much better than stock? If I did go with oe housings how bad would it be for oncoming traffic if I aimed them correctly? I don't want to blind every oncoming driver, I absolutely ****ing abhor being blinded myself so I don't want to do it to others. Either way I'm getting new housings as my current ones are all faded and murky.

Also, what's the difference between the 35w and 55w ballasts? Just makes each heat range of bulb a little brighter? Thank you for the help and advice :yes

·
Registered
730 Posts
So those housings aren't much better than stock? If I did go with oe housings how bad would it be for oncoming traffic if I aimed them correctly? I don't want to blind every oncoming driver, I absolutely ****ing abhor being blinded myself so I don't want to do it to others. Either way I'm getting new housings as my current ones are all faded and murky.

Also, what's the difference between the 35w and 55w ballasts? Just makes each heat range of bulb a little brighter? Thank you for the help and advice :yes
I have 55w 4300k Hid in headlight stock housing and 35w 5000k in stock foglights and don't blind anyone and I drive on dark state roads and in town. You just have to aim them right. If you do get the bulbs in the correct headlight and aim them good, your high beams will actually do you well on dark roads.

55w are a lot brighter than 35w, like day and night.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
It won't be bad at all if they're aimed properly. I'd be lying if I said that we have fantastic OEM headlight housings, but they're still better than a lot of the aftermarket options lol. You'll like it, I'm not a big fan of the projector look on SN95 Mustangs either.

55W ballasts will just make the bulbs a bit brighter, there's a tiny bit more scatter, but the tradeoff is worth it with the added brightness, especially if you're getting tinted headlight housings. DDM bulbs are rated for 55-60W continuous input and their 55W ballasts put out power in the range of 42-49 Watts (a bit of misleading product advert for you there lol, but every other HID supplier does the exact same thing, though with more skewed numbers). You can definitely get better ballasts to increase the power output, but DDM's 55W ballasts are probably the best value for quality.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
yea, sorry, but since you mentioned 9007 I assumed factory housings... Chill out man. I also retrofit true HID projectors in factory style housings.

these are the 129 housings from AM.com with morimoto mini D2S projectors fitted. great output, clean cut off. i sold one set on here, and a couple locally around me. I personally cant stand the scatter you get with HID in halogen housings. projector housings you linked, i had a

as to the projector housings you linked, i had a set like them, but they weren't much better until I swapped in a set of low beam projectors from a Caddy.... that was a lot of work though and I will NEVER do it again.... :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, sorry, but since you mentioned 9007 I assumed factory housings... Chill out man. I also retrofit true HID projectors in factory style housings.

these are the 129 housings from AM.com with morimoto mini D2S projectors fitted. great output, clean cut off. i sold one set on here, and a couple locally around me. I personally cant stand the scatter you get with HID in halogen housings. projector housings you linked, i had a

as to the projector housings you linked, i had a set like them, but they weren't much better until I swapped in a set of low beam projectors from a Caddy.... that was a lot of work though and I will NEVER do it again.... :)
My bad, I thought you were trying to be a dick and didn't realize you were joking at first, my apologies for snapping at you

If I sent you the parts, how much would you charge to do that to some new oe style housings?

Also, are you a Marine?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I was Active duty from 93-04. best times of my life. Now I work for DOD as a PPS / Special Police Officer, so I'm still not to far removed.

as to you guys sending parts to me... depends on what parts. I normally use Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and OE style housings. I buy the Depo set from AM.com for 129 then with the coupon code they give the forum it drops it to 122. Projectors are 120. I normally charge 350 for the full shebang. If you guys are serious, send me a PM here or an Email at [email protected] with what components you have and we can work something out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was Active duty from 93-04. best times of my life. Now I work for DOD as a PPS / Special Police Officer, so I'm still not to far removed.

as to you guys sending parts to me... depends on what parts. I normally use Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and OE style housings. I buy the Depo set from AM.com for 129 then with the coupon code they give the forum it drops it to 122. Projectors are 120. I normally charge 350 for the full shebang. If you guys are serious, send me a PM here or an Email at [email protected] with what components you have and we can work something out.

Ah that's cool, I'm going to meps tomorrow and Monday for the marines to get a ship date for boot camp. Can't ****ing wait to get a ship date.

I'd love to pay you to be able to do some housings like yours for my car, they look great I think. I just don't have quite that much extra money at the moment, ahah but depending on how the next paycheck or two looks I might shoot you a pm about getting the parts and everything for you to do them. Thanks man :yes

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
They just got back to me, looks like I can source the headlights and the projectors from the same supplier for $200 per set if I buy 2 or more sets, and around $185 for a different brand of projectors they say are just as good as the Morimoto D2S.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts