Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 18" bullets that came stock with the car, BFG 235/50-18. It's been a year and 25000 miles (I drive a lot) and it's time to start looking at something newer and a lot stickier. I see that Nitto has a 255/45-18 in the 555's that looks like it may fit these rims on all 4 corners. Can I go any wider than that and still run the same tire on all 4 corners, say a 275/40-18? It looks like the rims my be too narrow for a tire that wide. Not sure what the measured width is for these rims, and I'd like to keep my revs per mile as close as possible, not have to worry about suspension clearance, and keep the recommended rim witdth for the tire within an inch of what it's supposed to be (for example, if the rim is 8.5" wide, I want a tire recommended for an 8.5" to 9.5" rim). I know there's a bunch of threads about tires on here, but could only find suggestions for aftermarket wheels and the stock 17" rims. :tomato If somebody is running a combo like this, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
im going 255 front and 275 back...i have the same rims as you 18x8.5 bullits

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm...I know it would look better staggered with the 255 up front...but that really sucks with a unidirectional tire...so my best bet would be a 255/45 all the way around then? Do you guys know how the 555DR's handle for daily driving?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
im sticking with BF's and 255's on all four corners was my 2nd choice....now that im thinking about it again I might still do that for the rotation factor.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if you ever go to the track then you'de be very happy that you got the dr's. you would have the advantage of being able to let out some air and drop the hammer with a little more rpm's for a much better launch. yes the dr's make for a fine dd as long as you don't want to race in the rain.

·
Registered
985 Posts
With the mileage you drive I'd go with the same size tire all around just for the ability to rotate. I'm not sure DR's are a good idea on all 4 corners either. Also, with the mileage you drive, you will be changing tires a couple tires a year with a softer compound tire. That being said, you might want to look into BFG KDW2's or something similar.

·
10,234 Posts
guess i didn't look at his yearly mileage. i wouldn't then recommend the dr's. i went through one set of kdw's after about 15000 miles. that was after many burnouts and many trips to the track. i decided to slow down on the burnouts for fun and also got some stickies for the track. my fronts lasted me about 13 months an 30,000 miles though and i drive the hell out of it with some pretty hard corners much of the time.

·
10,234 Posts
if you're doing 18x9's in front i would go with 275's and if the 10.5's are for the back i would go with 315's

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you ever go to the track then you'de be very happy that you got the dr's. you would have the advantage of being able to let out some air and drop the hammer with a little more rpm's for a much better launch. yes the dr's make for a fine dd as long as you don't want to race in the rain.
I already have MT DR's on a 10.5x17" rim...they're a lot shorter tire and good for making my final drive ratio about a 3.90. Wondered if the Nittos were more streetable.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the mileage you drive I'd go with the same size tire all around just for the ability to rotate. I'm not sure DR's are a good idea on all 4 corners either. Also, with the mileage you drive, you will be changing tires a couple tires a year with a softer compound tire. That being said, you might want to look into BFG KDW2's or something similar.
I have BFG KDWS that came stock on the car. They get okay traction, sometimes...I did mention in my first post that I wanted the same size on all 4 corners. Just need to know how wide I can go up front...so I know what to put on the rear.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
guess i didn't look at his yearly mileage. i wouldn't then recommend the dr's. i went through one set of kdw's after about 15000 miles. that was after many burnouts and many trips to the track. i decided to slow down on the burnouts for fun and also got some stickies for the track. my fronts lasted me about 13 months an 30,000 miles though and i drive the hell out of it with some pretty hard corners much of the time.
I balanced and rotated mine every 6,000 miles and managed to squeeze 25000 out of them, mostly highway driving, some jack-ass-ery to keep the tread fresh...:D

·
10,234 Posts
I have BFG KDWS that came stock on the car. They get okay traction, sometimes...I did mention in my first post that I wanted the same size on all 4 corners. Just need to know how wide I can go up front...so I know what to put on the rear.

we're talking about a different tire. bfg's came stock on our cars, but the kdw's are a very unique tread pattern and grip very well. both in the rain and when it's dry. they do better around corners than they do from a dig though, but don't get me wrong they are no slouch from a dig compared to some street tires. pretty sure you can get a 275 on the stock 18's, but don't quote me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts