Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It'll be bout tree fiddy
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, god! Another suspension thread?! :deadhorse

I've gone for the show-before-go approach on my car. But, I'm beginning to run out of wants for the outward appearance of my car, it's about time to start turning my attention to the performance end of things.

I'm thinking my first dealings with the performance aspect of my car should address the suspension because it seems to have a hard enough time hooking the power it already has (might also be contributed to the POS p-zeros on the car).

What I use my car for - mostly spirited use as a daily driver, when I actually get some oomph under the hood I would like to take it to the strip or maybe even a road course track day once in awhile. That being said, I don't think I need a crazily race-tuned style suspension.

But, dropping the car also scares me because I already scrape at the stock ride height in a lot of my frequented areas if I'm not careful. This actually has me thinking about air bags instead of a coil over set up or even conventional springs/shocks/struts. Don't get it wrong here, my goal is not to have my wheels tucked 3/4 of the way up my fenders & quarters. And I most certainly don't want my 'stang sitting "hella flush." I wouldn't drop the car more than 2 inches from the stock ride height, but the airbags are attractive to me due to the fact that I would be able to also raise the car back up at the push of a button so I wouldn't scrape while trying to pull into my parking garage, the gf's driveway, or anywhere else I usually run into issues if I'm not paying attention.

In short, does anyone know anything about a bag-based suspension? Would it still perform well with all of the usual supporting mods of lowering the car (LCA, UCA, panhard bar, CC plates, etc). Is it actually a viable alternative for a daily driving car with performance in mind? Or would it make me feel like I was driving an h2 with senseless amounts of body roll, nose dive, etc. Or would it just be an alignment nightmare?

Any feedback is appreciated.

One of the things that has me thinking about the air ride:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I haven't heard anything negative about bag systems. Its different, thats for sure. I just question the longevity of the system.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Every single one of our Freightliners have air ride suspensions and we can usually get 70k+ miles before having to replace a single airbag. Granted that's on a completely different scale under completely different conditions than a car but the principle is still the same, if you don't mind spending the money for a quality set up you shouldn't have any issues with longevity and if you do, find a better quality compressor/airbag to replace it if it ever goes out.

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
Ya bagged is just expensive on the install. Spacing for tank and/or sir compressor is another issue. Don't go cheap. Cheap valves will stick on you. Cheap lines and fittings will be a leaking nuisance. Go with a good bag like slam specialties (I know these from drop trucks) Firestone bags been around forever.

Sent by carrier pigeon

·
It'll be bout tree fiddy
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i decided to go with the bagged suspension, it's going to have to be awhile off due to the fact I wouldn't want to skimp.

Another one of my concerns is replacement costs if a component does fail. How are these systems from an upkeep point of view?

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Ya bagged is just expensive on the install. Spacing for tank and/or sir compressor is another issue. Don't go cheap. Cheap valves will stick on you. Cheap lines and fittings will be a leaking nuisance. Go with a good bag like slam specialties (I know these from drop trucks) Firestone bags been around forever.

Sent by carrier pigeon
+1 on the Firestone bags. They're top notch in quality and the only thing that goes back on our Freightshakers, all around.

Up keep should be simple. Keep the compressor oil at the proper level, visually check lines for damage while you're under the car during oil changes etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts