Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with a young guy yesterday that had put 3.73 gears in a 2000 gt. He was telling me that he can get it up to about 25 in first and 40 or so in 2nd gear. I have 4.10's in my 03 gt and I know I can run them up much higher than that, is that because of the gearing on the older transmissions in that car? That doesn't sound like much fun to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand the reply, I was just commenting that it kinda sucks to put gears in the car and then not really be able to run them out a little bit. I already have 4.10's in my car so its not like I was asking about them. He also told me that his 2000 gt won't break 120mph now, I know we don't need to go that fast, but the 4.10's didn't affect my car all that much. It just doesn't sound all that beneficial to put those gears in a car that doesn't have the 3650 tranny if it affects your car in that way.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
I don't understand the reply, I was just commenting that it kinda sucks to put gears in the car and then not really be able to run them out a little bit. I already have 4.10's in my car so its not like I was asking about them. He also told me that his 2000 gt won't break 120mph now, I know we don't need to go that fast, but the 4.10's didn't affect my car all that much. It just doesn't sound all that beneficial to put those gears in a car that doesn't have the 3650 tranny if it affects your car in that way.
Oh, I see. You are just wanting to discuss the whole subject? There's a clubhouse for all the non-tech bullshit...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
that tells me all i need to know about how smart your friend is.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i have had both the 3650 and t45 with 4.10's, and both have been well past 120.... 3.73's should not run out of gear @ 120. period.

·
Registered
139 Posts
y the heck would you need to go faster than 120?! i'm gonna put 3.90 in mine...seems like a happy medium. but seriously dude...that kid needs to learn how/when to drive. let me guess...he's a 16yo spoiled rich kid?

·
Banned
848 Posts
y the heck would you need to go faster than 120?! i'm gonna put 3.90 in mine...seems like a happy medium. but seriously dude...that kid needs to learn how/when to drive. let me guess...he's a 16yo spoiled rich kid?
Now why does everyone have to be a rich kid? 16yr old? Yeah why not. lets not be ignorant now. These cars are fairly inexpensive as well as the mods that suit this machine. I highly doubt a rich kid would want a mustang.

·
Registered
638 Posts
you can hit much more than 120 with 373's ive done it once and will never do it again :)

and your friend with the 2000 gt is full of it, he doesnt top out at 20. He probably needs to get his speedo recalibrated. i believe i top out 1st gear 35-40 mph, 2nd gear 60mph

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's not my friend, just some guy that parked next to me at the store. I guess I was asking if the numbers are typical for a pre-3650 mustang or if his car has just been beaten to death. It didn't make sense talking to him that he could only get up to 20-25 in first with 3.73 when I can take my up to 30 or so with 4.10's.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have a 2000 with 4.10. That guy you talked to is one of the single dumbest humans on earth.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I talked with a young guy yesterday that had put 3.73 gears in a 2000 gt. He was telling me that he can get it up to about 25 in first and 40 or so in 2nd gear. I have 4.10's in my 03 gt and I know I can run them up much higher than that, is that because of the gearing on the older transmissions in that car? That doesn't sound like much fun to me.
He (the "young guy") doesn't know what he's talking about--at 6k rpm with 3.73s (T45 or 3650, all but 5th gear are the same) 1st gear will run out to 35 MPH or so, 2nd to 60 MPH.

Top speed in 5th depends on horsepower (you can't run out of revs in our cars unless you install 4.56s or better)--it takes 210 HP to push our cars to 150 MPH, on a dead stock or simple bolt-on untuned engine that's going to be around 5k RPM, which is just where a T-45 with 3.73s will be running.

However it will take a while to get there as you'll be right up against the peak HP with not much room left.

Here are links to my "How much HP does it take to go how fast?", and "How fast can I go in each gear?" calculators.

You'll need to know the HP curve of your engine to calculate the top speed. The point where the horsepower at "X" RPM in 5th and and the HP required at "X" speed cross will be fairly close to the real top speed.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i have been 150mph with 3.73s... but.. my programmer had the 3.73 tune on it and i could only top first to about 25 and second to about 45-50... when i raced from a 20 or 40 roll i was at abotu 4500 rpms in 1st and 2nd...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts