Modded Mustang Forums banner

181 - 200 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i have black friends that couldnt careless if someone said the n word, people just have to stop getting so butt hurt over words. some one could run up and call me a stupid cracker and id laugh with them. sticks and stones.

on a side note, if you make fun of every race, are you still racist?

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
i have black friends that couldnt careless if someone said the n word, people just have to stop getting so butt hurt over words. some one could run up and call me a stupid cracker and id laugh with them. sticks and stones.

on a side note, if you make fun of every race, are you still racist?
I'll always say it. Some to most black people are racist in themselves. not all though. Cause I'll be in public and see some of em saying the n word like the word "I". It's ridiculous! And they expect you not to say it. For the respect that I have for some people I don't say it, but what stops that kid that thinks "hey they can say it THAT many times, why can't I" and honestly, why can't he? They said it SO much that I don't think they should care.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
I don't typically use the "N" word in public, because I have big enough of a vocabulary to not use some slang/curse word.

With friends, who cares it's just a word.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Nyan, you put all 'dem otha Nyans to shame you stupid nyanner. Real nyans know bout that real **** nyan challenge boiiii

Get on my level you punk ass nyan, dont know nothin bout no real nyan

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
I don't typically use the "N" word in public, because I have big enough of a vocabulary to not use some slang/curse word.

With friends, who cares it's just a word.

I care. To each their own. I've never followed the logic that 'Words are just words.'

No they're not. Words have definitions and importance whether we like it or not. I'm not saying one's stance on this belief equates to being a racist or not. But words are not just words.

Personally, the negative connotations behind that word and the history derived from those connotations, place enough importance on said word that I don't feel right using it in any context, so I don't. I truly don't. And when guys i know, at work for example, use that word even in a 'joking context', it makes me uncomfortable.

Personally I feel that this is part of the problem in today's society. We have developed this need, this belief that "Eh, words are just words... they don't bother me."

So what should bother us then? Magic? I'm not saying you should kill yourself if someone calls you a name, either. I'm saying words are SUPPOSED to hold weight, they are SUPPOSED to mean something. It's not something we should be blase about.

"I can use the N word when joking with my friends, or in private, or have it used around me, because I'm not a racist and it's just a word."

Sorry. That type of logic just never computed for me. "Words are just words" is a philosophy born out of the political correctness movement, a thought borne from the misplaced rationalization that nobody should ever have a hurt feeling, and that hurt feelings are this horrific bad thing that we can't overcome. People started teaching their children "Don't worry honey- words are just words, and they can't hurt you." When what they should be teaching is "Yes. That is a hurtful thing that Billy said to you. That's why you shouldn't say things like that unless you really mean it. And when you do say it, there are better ways to convey your points than to just say hurtful things for the sake of being hurtful. In any event, you know those things aren't true, son, so don't lose any sleep over it. Perhaps one day Billy will come to realize the importance of choosing his words better, or not just saying mean things for the sake of being hurtful."

You see the difference? One way teaches that words are unimportant, and actually gives people MORE license to run around saying hurtful and ridiculous things without so much as giving them a second thought, because, after all, they're 'just words'. Secondarily, and perhaps more importantly, the child is never properly taught to deal with the hurt feelings. The other way teaches that words are indeed a powerful thing, and also better serves to teach how to deal with hurt feelings and people who throw words around so lightly. It also teaches one more respect, that one can and should carefully choose and select words that have a proper tone and context and meaning for a given discussion. And most importantly- that when you pull out a word intended to convey anger or importance or whatever- that you really, really MEAN what you're saying.

No, words are not, in any conversation, context, tone, or situation, 'just words'.

181 - 200 of 259 Posts