Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im looking at buying a 2001 Mustang Gt with a paxton s/c. He says hes pushing 7psi and claims the car has 440hp but he doesnt have a sheet to prove it. is it possible that is correct rwhp? Also, ive heard to stay within 8psi on a 99-04 gt because of the aluminum block and non forged pistons etc, what are your thoughts on going a lil higher than 7 psi , bigger pulley. Finally, I asked him what IF ANYTHING would need replacement or rebuilt and he assured me that the car is sound. he said the next thing he would do is look at rear suspension because the car tends to "hop" because of the power. Is that common? Also, whats the fix?

Im still new to this forum but I appreciate all your response in advanced.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What else does it have done to it? At 7psi...probably like 440 flywheel hp

·
Registered
110 Posts
The injectors, fuel pump, and CAI are a givin upgrade

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you think hes asking too much by asking 13k....its got 70k miles and blue booked for only $8000. I know the supercharger is a good 2-3k brand new but hes gotta eat some depreciation. I dunno, what you think?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hes got like a cobra front end, cobra rear end, all the gauges, fuel pump, injectors, cai....its super clean but still i think thats a lil high

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hey guys, im looking at buying a 2001 Mustang Gt with a paxton s/c. He says hes pushing 7psi and claims the car has 440hp but he doesnt have a sheet to prove it. is it possible that is correct rwhp? Also, ive heard to stay within 8psi on a 99-04 gt because of the aluminum block and non forged pistons etc, what are your thoughts on going a lil higher than 7 psi , bigger pulley. Finally, I asked him what IF ANYTHING would need replacement or rebuilt and he assured me that the car is sound. he said the next thing he would do is look at rear suspension because the car tends to "hop" because of the power. Is that common? Also, whats the fix?

Im still new to this forum but I appreciate all your response in advanced.
the block isnt aluminum, just the cast internals that are crap, the block will hold alot more than the internals

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
how old is the seller if i may ask, most of the times younger cats will beat on a car a little more, not trying to start any ****, just the nature of the beast, and IMHO S/C would be something i would have done to a car i know is sound, 13 grand is a big investment man, if i were in your position i wouldnt let that forced induction and all that power cloud your judgment, with stock internals your kinda on borrowed time if you beat on it with forced induction. I could be wrong, but just be careful

·
Registered
110 Posts
13k is asking a lot. I would just buy a stock to mildly modded 99-04 GT and customize it the way you want. Buying it already SC takes all the fun out of it. Plus with a stock one you should be more confident that its not going to die on you a week later.

·
Registered
927 Posts
just tell him to take it to a dyno with you ,if it puts out the claimed 440 rwhp you will pay for the dyno run (you keep the info) if not he pays and you give him less or walk away ;)

just an idea.

·
Registered
400 Posts
sounds like a good buy, but he doesnt have 400+ hp to the wheels on 7 lbs I am running 10 lbs and i have 425rwhp

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
To state it nicely, its unlikely that the car has 440 rwhp with 7 lbs of boost. It won't even have 440 at the crank unless other mods such as a 75mm TB/Plenum or headers have also been added. 440 at the crank is around 374 at the wheels. 7 lbs boost will get you around 350 rwhp with a standard transmission. Did they install an intercooler with the supercharger? Paxton's sometimes come without the intercooler. I've been told that an intercooler is needed to go above 8 lbs of boost. Even though some push it higher, ATI (who makes Procharger) only recommends 8 lbs of boost for the 2001 Mustang.

You really don't want to be running 440 rwhp with stock rods and pistons which are the motor's weakest point. That is pushing them to the absolute limit and if the tune is even a little off... well, you can buy a used motor for maybe $1500.

I think $13,000 is a little high, but then I would pay any extra for Cobra bumpers.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
sounds like a good buy, but he doesnt have 400+ hp to the wheels on 7 lbs I am running 10 lbs and i have 425rwhp
With LT heads and an off-road mid-pipe.:) I hope to get mine installed soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea i passed on that one with 72k miles on it.....check this one out, i just put the deposit down on it and im pickin it up on saturday. You guys better get used to me being on this forum cuz im gonna need tons of input haha

eBay Motors: Ford : Mustang (item 130201182675 end time Feb-25-08 11:55:25 PST)

Ok so hes emailing me the dyno sheets but he says its around 376rwhp with a 11lbs of boost. Im having a hard time believing if he's got it tuned to 11psi that its only puttin down that much. There is no intercooler so that will be my first purchase along with some exhaust. He wanted 13.5k and i offered him 12 and he lowered the buy it now price. With 29,000 pampered original miles on it, i think i did pretty good but let me know what you think!

Should i be afraid of pushing that much boost on a stock motor?

·
Registered
927 Posts
grats and good luck :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yea i passed on that one with 72k miles on it.....check this one out, i just put the deposit down on it and im pickin it up on saturday. You guys better get used to me being on this forum cuz im gonna need tons of input haha

eBay Motors: Ford : Mustang (item 130201182675 end time Feb-25-08 11:55:25 PST)

Ok so hes emailing me the dyno sheets but he says its around 376rwhp with a 11lbs of boost. Im having a hard time believing if he's got it tuned to 11psi that its only puttin down that much. There is no intercooler so that will be my first purchase along with some exhaust. He wanted 13.5k and i offered him 12 and he lowered the buy it now price. With 29,000 pampered original miles on it, i think i did pretty good but let me know what you think!

Should i be afraid of pushing that much boost on a stock motor?
i would be wary of pushing 11psi on stock internals, but iv never delt with S/C's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts