Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So until I can save up some cash for a decent set of wheels I have contemplated on just painting or powder coating my stock rims matte black. What are your opinions on this. I really want to powder coat them but the cheapest place I have found in the local area is about $75 a wheel. Im inclined to just do it myself.

Heres what im thinking
2010 Sterling Grey - Blacked out - MustangForums.com

·
Registered
272 Posts
That will look good. I was actually thinking of doing that on mine, but I have a really hard time permanently modifying something on my car. (I know what people will say, so no comments necessary). If you go that route though, I wouldn't worry too much about saving for new wheels. Spend the $ elsewhere and you'll be a lot happier than having a set of powder coated wheels and a set of aftermarket wheels. (If you do powdercoat and want to get rid of them though later on PM me:))

Oops, just saw you have the stock 18s. Ok, maybe save for 19s or some light 20s.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Personally, I don't care for those wheels, but I love the look. Was thinking of getting mine painted black or powdercoated too. So, if you like those wheels, I would say go for it. That one in the link is tits.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
$75 a wheel is much cheaper than I would have figured. I don't know why I assumed it'd be so expensive. If you don't mind keeping your tires you might find a deal like I just did. Granted I bought 19's, but I'm positive you can find some good looking 18's for near the same price.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
Dang morty if you lived closer to NJ I could have my buddy do them for you for free.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang morty if you lived closer to NJ I could have my buddy do them for you for free.
Meet you halfway :D

So I was wrong about it being $75, they want $85 plus tax per wheel for powder coat. That's $350+ that I could put towards another mod. I think im just gonna prep them really well and do it myself.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Just paint them instead of powdercoating. Save the money for aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Meet you halfway :D

So I was wrong about it being $75, they want $85 plus tax per wheel for powder coat. That's $350+ that I could put towards another mod. I think im just gonna prep them really well and do it myself.
I agree with saving the money and doing it yourself.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed

·
Registered
20 Posts
The wheels will look amazing in black trust me. My 11gt came with those wheels, i sold them to my buddy and we painted them black on his 08 gt and they look so sick.... i want to buy them back now lol

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I made up my mind. Im gonna go with Duplicolor high performance wheel coating in satin black with clear coat to try and give it a little bit of a glossy black.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
It reallt isnt that hard. Just use a nice plam sander and get the first coat down to bare metal. My bud does it all the time. Rattel can paint holds up nice. You can leave the tires on and the whole nine yards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yea go on google and type in how to paint rims black gives you all the steps. its pretty easy i did my buddys the other day came out good.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well they didnt have satin black. It came down to flat black or matte black. I went with flat because I want more of a glossy black rather than flat spray paint color

1 - 20 of 27 Posts