Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
UNOH Suspension Enthusiast
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2v 4.6 Layin in the shop just waiting to be built. I've got time to build it as it isnt going into a car for over a year. What's the best way to build this motor. I'm looking somewhere in the 500-550 HP range with it charged. Lets see some built lists, sites and prices! :) thanks

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
First call is MMR for a new short block if you want those number.
Um, not really. That's why he's asking how to build the motor...

I cant stroke it to the 5.0, typhoon intake, forged internals, bore it , puts heads and a cam on it, tthen throw a charger on it and make 500 to 550?
Yeah really all you need is forged internals and a bunch of boost. It's not the best way to make 500 hp but you can do it.

If you can do a forged shortblock, ported PI heads, blower cams, and a blower you can be in the 600+ range depending on your choice of FI. I'd go twin turbo if I did it all again. You'll need the fuel to go along with that too though

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just did forged internals pistons and rodes, custom blower cams, 10lbs of boost and made 428rwhp which is about 495hp flywheel. I will make more once install a bap.
Some where around 460-470rwhp which almost 530hp flywheel. My block is still stock and so is the crank no bore over.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I know the rods on these things are the weak link. I'm building my supercharger now with Hi-Tech stage 2's and a vortech V-3. Pullied for 10lbs with an A/A intercooler and I'm hoping for 400rwhp. I'm running small injectors though, so those will run out first. I want a forged bottom end SO BAD.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Call mmr and get one of there forged rotating assemblies and build it yourself.

Then get some ported heads
Cams
Sullivan intake

and a vortech blower

youll be happy

·
Registered
329 Posts
I know the rods on these things are the weak link. I'm building my supercharger now with Hi-Tech stage 2's and a vortech V-3. Pullied for 10lbs with an A/A intercooler and I'm hoping for 400rwhp. I'm running small injectors though, so those will run out first. I want a forged bottom end SO BAD.
As long as u got plenty of fuel and a good tune u will b fine. I know alot of guys running more boost than that on a stock 2v with no problems. Everyone says they r on borrowed time and its already been acouple of years.:)

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Buying a forged MMR shortblock = cheaper than building your own after having to buy all the special tools/gauges to measure everything for your build. At least mine was. Only paid $2992 shipped for my MMR900 with ARP mains, ARP 2000 rod bolts, and MMR sideblock bolts. Fully balanced and everything, 9:1 CR. Still stock bore/stroke.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Buying a forged MMR shortblock = cheaper than building your own after having to buy all the special tools/gauges to measure everything for your build. At least mine was. Only paid $2992 shipped for my MMR900 with ARP mains, ARP 2000 rod bolts, and MMR sideblock bolts. Fully balanced and everything, 9:1 CR. Still stock bore/stroke.
How much boost r u planning to throw at it at such a low CR?

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
Going to spin the motor a little higher...maybe 6400ish rpms should see about 14-14.5lbs. Thats not really that low either considering the stock is ~9.3:1..

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
A stroked/bored 2v with twisted wedge heads and comp 278s at 11:1 compression can make around 460 bhp. Switch to dished pistons and slap on a blower, say a KB 2.6, and you'll be making around 600 brake, around 500 wheel. But that means nothing because unless you have the rest of the car ready to handle it, you're just going to break things.

The stroker kit costs around $3k, the heads around $2.2k, the kb kit around $6k. Cams, springs, machine work, parts parts parts, and labor. Who said these cars are cheap to mod?

This is what I'm doing to my ride this winter though. Spread it on!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Going to spin the motor a little higher...maybe 6400ish rpms should see about 14-14.5lbs. Thats not really that low either considering the stock is ~9.3:1..
Yeah I know that but taking even that .3 out gives u more room to get a few more psi in there.

A stroked/bored 2v with twisted wedge heads and comp 278s at 11:1 compression can make around 460 bhp. Switch to dished pistons and slap on a blower, say a KB 2.6, and you'll be making around 600 brake, around 500 wheel. But that means nothing because unless you have the rest of the car ready to handle it, you're just going to break things.

The stroker kit costs around $3k, the heads around $2.2k, the kb kit around $6k. Cams, springs, machine work, parts parts parts, and labor. Who said these cars are cheap to mod?

This is what I'm doing to my ride this winter though. Spread it on!
Wow I didnt even do tha much and Im a bap away from getting 460rwhp on 10lbs using 39lbs injectors.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
All you need are forged rods and pistons for that hp.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i built a mmr900 sb with all arp hardware, 9.4-1 cr, felpro blue mls head gaskets, ported heads, stock cams, shorty headers, tfs intake mani, vortech v3 si, intercooled, meth, twin cobra pumps, bap, 60# injecters, promotion t45, 31 spline rear end, detroit true track diff, and a lot of other bolt ons. put down 511 rwhp, but on another dyno on a cooler day car put out 538 rwhp.

·
Registered
968 Posts
i built a mmr900 sb with all arp hardware, 9.4-1 cr, felpro blue mls head gaskets, ported heads, stock cams, shorty headers, tfs intake mani, vortech v3 si, intercooled, meth, twin cobra pumps, bap, 60# injecters, promotion t45, 31 spline rear end, detroit true track diff, and a lot of other bolt ons. put down 511 rwhp, but on another dyno on a cooler day car put out 538 rwhp.
hw many pounds of boost?

·
Registered
295 Posts
If i were you, I think the most impressive way of building an engine is to keep it N/A. I know some people on here will say you cant make your goals with this engine and no FI, but I think when it really comes down to it, it is possible. Bore the block to a 5.0, do not stroke it, get heads & cams custom made for the setup, run much higher compression, like 12-13.5:1, and get the engine screaming like 9000+ rpm. Yes it will be much more expensive than going FI, but the powerband will be much smoother, you will have more useable power that comes at a later time which allows you to put your power on the ground. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts