Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have been reading through a ton of wheel and tire questions on the site and cant seem to find any one that can give a straight answer.... Right now i am running 315/35/17 nitto drag radials. I just purchased new Saleen style reps in 18x 10.5 for the rear. The rep on the phone said that essentially an 315/30/18 will have the same measurements as the tire on the car now. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that actually is running a 315/30 or 35 / 18 on there 99/04 mustang without rolled fenders. I currently dont have rolled fenders and have no issues with rubbing as of now. The car has dd bullits in the rear now with the 315's The car has steeda springs in it as well. Thank you for your time and input:) Will i be able to put on a 315/30 or 35/ 18 without any issues??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There are multiple people running those sizes on this site without any known issues and even lower than the Steedas. I am sure one of them will step in soon enough.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
315/35/17" = 25.6" diameter
315/30/18" = 25.6" diameter
315/35/18" = 26.6" diameter

Remember that only 1/2 of that additional diameter translates to clearance issues, while the other translates to an additional 1/2" of ride hight of your car. Your safest bet is to go 30 series in an 18" tire of that size.

Is there a particular reason you want to run larger tire?

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jazzer..
When you say lager tire are you referring to the tread width or the height of the sidewall? I wanted to stay with the 315 because i like the way that they look , but more the way that the car hooked with the 315 Dr. I am open to all recommendations. The car is just a weekend car that sees some track time and never sees a road course. If your concern is the width of the rear tire would you suggest a 295 or a 305? Next question is if i was to do the 295 or the 305 will they look of on a 10.5 rear wheel, or will they possibly look a lil stretched? What would you recommended? What are you running front and back?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Look at the numbers I posted above :yes

The diameter is were the 315/35/18" is larger and by 1". On OEM springs, I doubt you will rub due to diameter, but some 10.5" wheels will rub in a couple locations, just due to the width. I would recommend you purchase new 18"x10.5" wheels with the same off-set as your current 17" wheels and run a 30 series tire to have the identical clearance tolerances as you have now.

The issue with going to an 18" wheel in 30 series, more than anything else, is going to be grip from a dig. A lower profile tire is gonna reduce you ability to get off the line as quickly. Not only because it is a lower profile, but such a tire will have a stiffer sidewall to improve turn-in response on corners.

Based on what you are saying, going to an 18" wheel does not make any sense. You should be going to a SMALLER wheel instead. A 275/50/15" tire = 26.1" and a better size for getting you off the line quicker, but not a great tire for corners on the street. Depending on the brand, could be a HORRIBLE tire for corners on the street.

Jazzer :)

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Peep my garage for tire/wheel sizes and unknown on the hood. It was a cheapo eBay special :yes

Jazzer gives you his thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts