Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright... been awhile since I made one of these threads, but here it is:

My newest project is going to involve some trim remastering on the car. This all started from me having to replace my wiper cowl due to a crack. This has led me to make something good out of something bad.

Project List
  1. Paint the Mirrors Gloss Black
  2. Paint the Wiper Cowl Gloss Black
  3. Paint the Cobra Fog light Bezels Gloss Black
  4. Paint my rear middle deck (between the taillights) Gloss Black
  5. Paint the side emblems Red/Black

Supplies currently bought:
  1. 2 Cans of Automotive Gloss Black
  2. 1 Can of Automotive Clear
  3. 1 Can of Automotive Primer
  4. 1 Roll of Painter's Tape
  5. 1 Spindle of Fishing Line
  6. 2000 Grit sand paper (already had the rest)
Cost: $40

Will have before pics tomorrow hopefully with some more when I do the project. Cowl is coming in Thursday, project will be commenced on Sat.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
are they spray cans or are you doing it with a spray gun

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
sweet man i wanted to see results since you posted you're going to be doing it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
+1 i want to see how to mirrors turn out. ive been thinking about painting mine white

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are they spray cans or are you doing it with a spray gun
Cans... if you can find me a compressor that runs 13cfm at 30psi for less than $250 I will do spray gun :D

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Started the work today. I got the rear deck sanded with 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 2000. I know I skipped 1500... I dont think it will matter to much tho?

Got the side emblems off as well. Got about 2 coats of Black on one and 1 coat of primer on the other. Plan to do sand every 2 coats with 2000 grit very lightly so it comes off smooth, then a good number of sanded clears.

Waitting till this weekend to do the mirrors and fog bezels... Cowl comin in Thursday.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
/subscribe as always.

You should be very detailed on this because I would love to gloss my mirrors and cowl without out having to buy new ones!

=P

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/subscribe as always.

You should be very detailed on this because I would love to gloss my mirrors and cowl without out having to buy new ones!

=P
Will do. The process will be same on all pieces. Wash with dawn, rub down with rubbing alchohol, dry, wet sand from 320-2000, clean with alcohol again, dry, prime, sand from 600-2000, color, sand with 2000, clear, sand with 2000

I would say 2-3 coats of primer, 3-4 coats of color, and as many clears as needed to make it glossy... atleast 5. These are thin coats as well... not heavy.

I hope I can get it the way I want... I really want this stuff to shine. Gonna get some polish as well to help the finishing process.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The only obstacle I can think of that would need to be overcome would be trying to get it to be smooth gloss instead of the light texture on the stock mirrors.

Butters: "Do you know what I am saying?"

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep... thats why I am gonna go through a good bit of sanding and primer on them. I am gonna get it as smooth as possible, then prime it over and over until I can get it smooth, then the color will be sanded smooth as well as the clear.

heres to hoping it works

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
+1

You also have a PM sir.

·
Registered
304 Posts
zat you are quite an inspiration most of my projects have been after your posts..cant wait to see when you finish this one up :)

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zat, you think the primer is gonna get a good enough bite on that 2000 grit?
Hmm, did not think about it. I thought the smoother the better?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, got some more work done today. I was able to get the fog light bezels off and start on them.

I was able to get rid of the textured material which means I will be able to do the same on the mirrors. I simply sanded the bezels with 320, 400, & 600grit sandpaper. I then blasted a thick layer of primer. Once dried, I sanded the same way but this time I went up to 800. A 3rd coat could be added for even more smoothness, but is not nessecary.

After sanding I applied the first black color coat. I sanded this with 1000 and 2000 grit, then added another layer of black. I should of done 3 layers, but I stopped at 2. The second bezel will have 3.

I then started the clear, sanding the first two layers with 1000 and 2000 grit then added a final layer which I will sand as well. I plan to do atleast 4 layers of clear.

The emblems are done as well, 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of color, 4 coats of clear.

The new cowl came in. One small piece came off one of the corners in shipping, but it did not produce a crack. Props to Tousley Ford

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

After I do atleast another 2 sanded layers of clear the bezels should be really reflective.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
LOL @ random ass picture of the dead(sleeping)? dog behind the car.

Looking good!

I want your BOD.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL @ random ass picture of the dead(sleeping)? dog behind the car.

Looking good!

I want your BOD.

Ya, I ment for that to be in there Lol.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts